Chpater 13

*IMPORTANT* this chapter discusses things regarding the native Australians known as Aboriginals, I have a lot of respect for these people and hate how the English treated them at first so do not get this confused. I do not know all the Aboriginal communities so I'm really sorry if the language region is wrong for the few words I will type in Aboriginal. Anything that may be racist is NOT intended to be, if you have any opinions, please message me and we can talk. Please note that Caitlyn, living in her sheltered world on the farm, may have incorrect ideas on about them so please don't hate me (or her)  (And if I get something wrong, please correct me nicely, I'm only young)
Ok finally, the long and boring bit is over, sorry about that.

A young man around her own age stepped into the soft near winter light. But it was not the man that surprised her, it was his clothing. Grasses and sticks were used and he seemed to be holding himself with such poise that she felt she almost had to curtesy and mind her P's and Q's. His serious eyes searched her yet she didn't feel afraid. 

No one spoke.

Straton was the first to make a noise. He snorted in recognition to the man, he seemed fairly relaxed as the boy reached out to touch his nose. Straton bobbed his head and the boy almost smiled. Caitlyn started to get frustrated after a while. "Who are you?"  She asked. He looked at her and showed he did not understand.

She nodded in understanding. 'I didn't know any Aboriginal people lived near here.'  She thought to herself.

More silence.

His stare was broken by him pointing a finger at his bare chest and saying, "Nulluh." His voice sounded slightly brazen, but comforting. He poked her just beneath the collar bone. She was confused then realised. "Oh," she pointed to herself, trying to think if she should come up with something that didn't connect her, she missed her family and had been trying not to think about them so she didn't want to hear her name. Did she want to be free from her past? Should she move on? 
She paused for only a second.

"Lynn."

Nulluh nodded in understanding and gestured for her to follow him and she weighed her options. Looking at her broken arm, infected leg and cut hands from weaving, she decided that she had very little to lose so she followed.

He took her along hidden paths, with Straton following her. Nulluh was very quick and agile. Though she was fit, she was also injured so she called out to him to wait a moment. Straton knew what she was doing so he stopped and she used her good arm and leg to settle herself onto his back.

Nulluh looked on, slightly confused at this action of this lady he had just met. He knew Nanna would have an answer. Nanna was an inverse coconut, white on the outside but Aboriginal inside, of old age. She knew Lynn's language too.

Caitlyn's leg started to hurt from being moved. Straton tried to be gentle but there's only so much he could do. Nulluh saw her pain and hoped that Nanna would help her.

Once they got there, Caitlyn was confused at their fear of her. She dismounted off Straton down to see a little girl who was chewing on her hand. But when she hit the ground, her leg buckled, frightening the girl.

She began to try and introduce herself through her gritted teeth. "Hello, I'm -" she hesitated. "Lynn." Caitlyn felt taken aback once more as she noticed again how rough her voice had become.

She pointed to herself then pointed at the girl as Nulluh had with her. The girl looked at her with wide, frightened eyes as she tried to figure out the white girl but said nothing. Nulluh tapped Caitlyn on the back and gestured for her to follow him again.