Chapter 31

A cold sweat broke out across her forehead as she tried to convince herself it hadn't actually happened.  But she had seen it, it was real even if it wasn't happening now. She got out of bed and into the shower. She scrubbed her skin under the scalding water, trying to get rid of the blood she knew was there. It had to be somewhere!

It had to come off. "Get off," she muttered to herself as she dragged her nails across her skin, trying desperately to get rid of the bloody sensation. After almost an hour, the feeling was still there and she turned the water off, curling up in the corner of the shower. Tears began to roll down her face.

Tears soon turned into silent sobbing as she mentally begged for the pain and memories to leave her alone. Her breathing began erratic and her heart began to palpitate, pushing her emotions to the very edge. Panic rose in her throat despite her attempts to swallow it.

It was happening again. She began to shake as her panic built.  It wouldn't stop and she had no idea what was happening. 

Once she managed to calm down to hiccuping rather than sobbing, she became aware that she was shivering from the cold. 

*********

Caitlyn walked down to the paddocks, despite it being almost three in the morning. She wanted to see Straton. Despite not shaking as much anymore, she couldn't calm herself down enough to sleep. Nothing was getting rid of the dirty feeling she felt. Nothing was helping her calm down. So she reverted back to her natural state.

She ducked through the fence and began to look for Straton, not calling so she didn't disturb him if he was sleeping. She trudged through the damp, yellowed grass, looking around at the stillness that surrounded her. She felt the anxiety begin to dissipate.

When she found him she moved off to the side and sat leaning against a fence post. He had his head down and one leg cocked. She smiled slightly at the sight. It was almost like some thing from a picture. The blue light was beginning to fade for the early darkness, there were a couple spiderwebs crystallised by dew and the hardy grass looked golden. The sleeping buckskin matched in perfectly.

For a moment she felt at peace, a sense of calm during the inescapable storm that wrought her mind.  She closed her eyes and breathed in, enjoying the burning feeling of the cold air. She slowly fell asleep on the wet ground, for once finding peace.

When Cailtyn woke up, she was slightly confused for a bit. Once she figured out where she was she stood and began looking for Straton. She looked up the hill and didn't see him so she headed down further.  Straton was grazing on the flat and she smiled when she saw him.

She called out his name and his head came up. He turned and ran towards her, shying away in play at the last moment and half rearing around her.  She smiled at him, and actually felt it. That made her smile widen as she wrapped her arms around his neck when he calmed down.

The two stood there silently as the sky slowly lightened. Once Caitlyn noticed that it was quite bright, she vaulted onto Straton's back and trotted up the hill, her hands twisted into his mane.

A/N

Sorry this is so short. I just liked the ending lol.
Hope you all have awesome days ^.^