Chapter 18

The doctor walked out of the examination room to speak with Darcy. He shook his head in disbelief, the girl was tough, he had to give her that. 

Seemingly hundreds of small scars covered her body along with a break that had healed well, though not correctly. The scarred remains of an infected wound and a still new third degree burn. There was evidence of a nutritional lack and significant strain on the body, likely from the early days of her survival story. 

"She'll be alright," Darcy exhaled slowly with relief. Even though he'd known, he still wanted to be sure. The doctor stood erectly, his smile not going past his mouth.

"But?" One look at the doctor told him there was more.

"She'll need surgery on that arm of hers, there's plenty of scarring on her; aand, I'm willing to bet it isn't all physical. But medically, the surgery should put her back on track.  There's also the burn which may need scrubbing and will definitely need to be kept clean and will need plenty of burn-aid. Now you said another gentleman was with her?"

"Uh, yeah. We don't know anythun' about 'im yet, haven't asked her. I'm willing to bet 'ee's dead," Darcy whispered, "they was real close, Kitty an' Luke. 'Specially after her ma."

The doctor nodded and scratched his salt and pepper hair. "Well, I can schedule the surgery for right now if you would like," he offered, to which Darcy nodded.

Darcy read over the papers he had to sign, well what he could read of them anyway. He hadn't stayed in school very long as a boy. Something he'd come to regret. He scribbled his name messily, slightly embarrassed by his hand as he wrote his name and relation to Caitlyn.

'Guardian', hardly seemed appropriate but he figured it'd be the only thing to get her into surgery.  He shook his head a little as he handed back the papers, Caitlyn was tough alright.  Her birthday had passed while she was gone, so that meant she was 16. Still a little girl in his eyes not matter what anyone would try to tell him.

"Uh, can I see her?" The doctor nodded and stepped aside, "we'll be ready soon."  A clinical, yet strangely warm smile spread across his crinkled face. Darcy nodded back, the feeling of being a pig in a beauty parlour made him uncomfortable. Gaw, he hated the city.

Rap, rap.

"Come in," came the rough reply from within.

Darcy opened the door and grinned easy naturedly at Caitlyn. "Well, doc says you be needin' an oper-ation," the word felt strange on his lips. "For your arm 'n all." His well worked hand gestured towards the arm that didn't sit right with the sharp curve in the middle of it.

Caitlyn nodded but she looked out the window as parts of their conversation played in her mind. They'd been about Luke.  It wasn't that she didn't want them to know, she just didn't want to tell them. Tell them he was dead, that it was her fault. No matter what Luke; or anyone else said. It was her fault.

"Y'know, doc says you got some nice scars to show off," a smile carved it's way through his sun beaten face, pulling her attention back enough to smile back at him.

"Yeah, I guess I got a few." A small smile came to her face. She'd always loved her scars they had always been medals she wore proudly. But these ones were different; they had memories.

"Bet you'll look real tough once yer all better, with all that extra muscle you got there."

"Recon I'd beat Ty in an arm wrestle yet?"

"Aw, wall, let's not push it."

Darcy winked at her, chest moving in a silent laugh. Caitlyn grinned a little, "don't forget who beat you in reassembling an engine."

"Aw, wall, you're the one, the only."

"Only way I'd have it."

The two laughed before the doctor came in again. "The surgeons are ready."