Chapter 16

As they were riding back, Lynn felt the man accidentally brush the deep burn and almost cried out in pain. The burn reached from the centre of her left shoulder blade to just below her collar bone. Straton stopped and turned his head, sensing her pain. She smiled tensely at him and urged the horse forward.

Once they got back to headquarters as Lynn mentally called it, there was almost nothing left. Lynn felt grateful for her hunting belt and few possessions that she still had.  Most people cried at the sight but Lynn was numb.

******

It was a few days before Lynn and Straton got a break, moving the charred remains of the village needed a lot of work and Straton made that a lot easier.  Lynn pulled herself up onto Straton, accidentally cursing as she used her left arm. Nanna glared at her and Lynn apologised.

Nanna seemed to think about it before she spoke. "I come too."  She said, still speaking English from the trauma of the fire and clearing of bodies that hadn't been removed before.

Lynn nodded and only walked Straton. As they got further from camp, they still walked in silence until Lynn heard the barking of a dog. Surely it couldn't be...

A shaggy haired cattle dog ran from the bushes and ran towards Straton who shied at first but then recognised his friend. Lynn dropped off of Straton in shock and went to hug the dog. She began to cry again, so glad to see him. He never went far from Darcy. She heard a horse and a smooth voice call for the blue heeler and she yelled out, "Darcy!  It's Ly - Caitlyn!"  She accidentally yelled the it in Aboriginal but that didn't matter!  Not when home was so close!

Darcy pulled his horse up and turned it to the direction the dog had disappeared into. "Damned dog."  He muttered before he heard a strange voice. Caitlyn?  He cantered his horse, Lone Star in the direction of the voice. "Caitlyn!"  He called out, hoping he hadn't imagined it.

He pulled his horse up as he saw Blue the heeler. "Caitlyn!"  He yelled as he vaulted him his horse and picked her up in a bear hug. "I thought I lost you."  He whispered in disbelief, tears on his face. Caitlyn cried out in pain and he out her down, only then noticing the wound on her shoulder, the horrific scars that marred a lot of her and the bent arm. 

"What happened?  Not important."  He decided. "Let's get you home and go a hospital first...  You're alive!" He stammered, still unable to believe it.  He ran his hand through his hat hair as he held his hat in his hand. Nanna stepped forward. "You?"  She asked, her intent clear.

Lynn talked to her in Aboriginal, "this is Darcy from where I came from with white."  She said hurriedly.  Nanna nodded, tears clouding her eyes as she realised what it meant. Lynn began to cry again. "Nanna, Nanna, I'll visit."  She promised to the now sobbing woman as they gently embraced. 

Nanna stepped back, trying to compose herself. "Be good, Aneira Burnu."  She smiled sadly at the girl, this time speaking the first part in English.  Caitlyn was now glad that she carried all her belongings with her. Except her tack which had been left behind.

Nanna pushed her towards Darcy. "Don't forget me."  She said in Aboriginal again. "I won't."  Promised Lynn in the same language. The two women parted ways there. But not forever.