Chapter Fourteen

Kale had dropped me off. I thought he was coming to school, also so I was very surprised when he drove off almost immediately after I got out of the vehicle. I was staring after the car for a second before shrugging it off and heading into the school.  

                When I had made it up the front steps of the school, I decided to go look for Casey who is most likely with Darren. I’m sure he’s with her. Very sure but it must be an off day for me since I was wrong. I look back, thinking Kale had just gone to park his car and he was behind me but he wasn’t. All I saw was Darren in the parking lot, talking to a girl. Some girl that look like a tenth grader. I don’t remember Darren mentioning a sister so that wasn’t it. The girl handed him a note before walking away, to a group of other girls.

                Don’t tell girls still do that. I can’t believe it. There are actually girls out there that take the time to confess through a note. Wow, I thought that died a long ago. Or maybe I just grew out of it. Who knows?

                Darren glances at the note before walking toward me. I waited for him. He knows where Casey’s at.

                “Hey, fool” I greeted, grinning.

                Darren looks up and sighs. “Oh Smurf, how you doing?”

                My grin was almost wiped off, almost. So I kept it glue on my face like it didn’t bother me. Darren reaches out and patted my head.

                “Are all you Smurfs this short and this blue? Is your favorite desert a blueberry muffin?” Darren asks, using his most serious voice.

                Asshole. “No, actually, we eat a bunch of blue shit like you for breakfast” I snapped. “Where’s Casey?”

                Darren grins. “At the café”.

                “Lead the way, Woman-Beater.”

                Darren nods before stopping. “Woman-beater?”

                “Yeah” I said. I saw a freshman girl walking by so I pointed at Darren and whispered loudly, “Be careful, he likes to hit girls. It gets him in the mood”.

                The girl stared at Darren puzzled before walking away. She gave him an over the shoulder look and did the one thing that made me proud that I am who I am. She flips him the middle finger and walk off.

                I laughed, pointing at the girl and staring at Darren to see if he saw that. He did.

                “She's lying!” he called after her but she was long gone.

                “Nice try, Woman-Beater” I said, before walking on.

                “Stop calling me that” Darren orders.

                “Why not, Woman-Beater?”

                “Because it’s drawing attention and I don’t beat woman” he said, in the most obvious way.

                “Wrong, if I remember correctly, you shove me to the floor” I said.

                “I push you down and I’m sorry for that but it’s not I beat you up well you were down” Darren said.

                I gave him a look that told him maybe he as well ought to.

                “I don’t woman or girls” he added after he saw me open my mouth.