Chapter Fifteen

Candice handed me the number, smiling proudly. “We got lucky since Ann didn’t delete the number. She was planning on calling the number back but she decided to have you handle the person.”

                “Me?” I ask incredulously. “She wants me to handle the person?”

                Candice shrugged. “Yeah, I mean you have that whole revenge aura, also you look like the type that likes to take revenge.”

                 I look like the type that likes to take revenge? “Thanks” I said, unsurely before shaking my head. I look down at the number, repeating the number in my head. I pull out my cell phone and type in the number before clicking save. I threw the paper in trash and finally look at Candice.

                “Thanks for getting the number and I’ll see you later” I said, giving her a little wave as I start to walk away.

                “Wait, that’s it,” she asks.

                “Yeah, that’s it” I confirmed, without giving a backward glance.

                “Where are you going?”

                “Class, the bell’s about to ring and I like stealing other people’s eats. It’s fun disturbing the order of class” I told her, chuckling. God, I love doing that. Its fun watching people look confused and stand there before taking someone else’s seat.  It goes on and on until everyone is visibly confused and uncomfortable. Almost like the first day of school.

                “What about the number? Aren’t you going to figure out who it is?” she asks. I heard her steps, letting me know that she’s following me.

                “Don’t worry about that, it’s all taken care of” I said, still walking. Candice still followed me. I turn around, stopping as she halted. “Go to class.”

                “But the number…” she trails off hopelessly.

                I sigh. “This is my problem; it has to do with me. So drop it and go live life, go crazy, do whatever it was you were doing before you met me.”

                Candice stares at me, her eyes wide, and her mouth ready to open in protest. Instead she said, “But I’m bored with life.”

                I stared at her, taking in her blue eyes that look so vulnerable and powerless; it made my mind swirl with recognition. I tilted my head. “Have we met before?”

                Candice shakes her head. “No” she mumbles, trying to blink back the tears. A strand of blonde hair fell in front of her eyes and she brushes it back.

                Bangs. “Didn’t you have bangs?”

                “No” she answers again, this time looking more puzzled by the minute.

                “Are you sure?” I ask, staring. “You look like the type to have bangs.”

                “I don’t have bangs” she said. “You sound kind of like my mother; she wants me to have bangs.”

                “Your mother has bangs?”

                “Yeah” she nods.

                I narrowed my eyes. “Candice, what’s your last name?”

                “Jerry” she said. “My full name is Candice Jerry.”