Forest of the Dead

Well, I accomplished a goal. A lot of you were surprised by how I portrayed River. We'll see if we can get some more insight here. Also . . . you all have 132 comments now. ;)

With Donna gone, and with a woman who knows her somehow, what does the Apocalypse do, and how does she react to what River whispers in her ear? And what does River whisper in her ear?

Here's "Forest of the Dead!"

***

"Hey, who turned out the lights? Hey, who turned out the lights?"

The Apocalypse turned finally and snapped open a silver and gold portal. "That way, now," she ordered. "Move!"

A few more portal jumps later, and they were back in another room, a moon high in the orange sky in the skylight. "OK, we've got a clear spot," River looked around. "In, in, in, right in the center, in the middle of the light, quickly. Don't let your shadows cross. Apocalypse?"

"I'm doing it," the Apocalypse took out her sonic screwdriver.

"There's no lights in here," River looked up. "Sunset's coming. We can't stay long." She looked back, hearing something come from the sonic. "Have you found a live one?"

"Maybe," the Apocalypse frowned. "It's getting harder to tell." She smacked the butt of her screwdriver when it sputtered again. "What's wrong with you?"

"We're going to need a chicken leg," River looked around. "Who's got a chicken leg?" Other Dave offered one from his pack. "Thanks, Dave." She took it and threw it into the shadow the Apocalypse was looking at, and a bone hit the ground, no meat on it. "OK," River backed up with the Apocalypse. "OK, we've got a hot one. Watch your feet."

"They won't attack until there's enough of them," the Apocalypse shook her head, "but they've got our scent now. They're coming."

"Oh yeah," Other Dave told River as she set her pack down by them. "Who is she? You haven't even told us. You just expect us to trust her?"

"She's the Apocalypse," River said simply.

"And who is the Apocalypse?" Lux prompted.

"The only story you'll ever tell, if you survive her," River looked over her shoulder.

"You say she's your friend, but she doesn't even know who you are," Anita folded her arms.

River sighed. "Listen, all you need to know is this. I'd trust that woman to the end of the universe . . . and actually, we've been."

"She doesn't act like she trusts you," Anita said dubiously.

"Yeah, there's a tiny problem," River scowled. "She hasn't met me yet." The Apocalypse was still messing with her sonic when River walked over to where she crouched. "What's wrong with it?"

"There's a signal coming from somewhere, interfering with it," the Apocalypse answered.

"Then use the red settings."

The Apocalypse frowned. "It doesn't have a red setting."

"Well, use the dampers."

"It doesn't have dampers!"

"It will do one day," River offered her sonic.

The Apocalypse eyed it, then took it from her. "So some time in the future, I just give you my screwdriver?" she raised an eyebrow. She still didn't believe that.

"Yeah," River nodded.

"Why would I do that?"

River glared. "I didn't pluck it from your cold dead hands, if that's what you're worried about."