0.9

Mariana and Taylor have been running through the Forbidden Forest for a period of time, hands clasped tightly.

Although the two were tired, neither dared stop for fear they were being chased. 

So instead they continued running, branched slapping their faces, bushes scraped at their legs, tearing at their jeans, and thorns reached out at them, lashing at their exposed skin. Together they ran, growing more tired and the struggle to raise their legs growing.

Soon enough, Taylor's foot caught on a low bramble and she fell, pulling Mariana with her. Together they fell, hands scrambling to catch each other and scraping against their palms and drawing blood, backpacks helping to push them down.

Mariana forced herself up, muscles screaming in protest. She took a few seconds to catch her breath before she spoke.

 "I know you're tired," she panted, "I am, too. But we've gonna keep going until we-- until we find a river or water or something. All right, Taylor?"

"Mm-hmm," Taylor hummed, forcing herself to her feet, leaning heavily on an adjacent tree. She was exhausted-- they bother were-- so they hoped they would find water soon. The sun was starting to rise, and their lack of sleep was catching up to them.

The two girls continued scurrying along the ground, looking around, pricking their ears for the slightest sound.

Finally, Taylor caught something. "Mari, I think I heard water!" She called, running forward.

Mariana followed and saw Taylor had heard right— there was a river up ahead and Taylor was jumping up and down next to it.

"I found it! I found it!" She cheered, over and over.

Mariana gave a tired smile. "We should set up camp," She began and Taylor's smile fell.

"But we're too tired to do that," she continued. "Let's just drink, eat, and then rest."

Taylor smiled and sat at the edge of the river. She pulled out a container full of chips and motioned for Mariana to sit. When she did, they dug in.

It wasn't long until the container was empty. Mariana took it and filled it with water, giving it to Taylor to drink. The two girls repeated this until they had their fill.

Then they walked away from the stream to the trunk of a large tree. They and sat under it and laid their bags next to them, resting their backs and closing their eyes, grabbing and holding onto each other's hand, and falling asleep as the clock ticked twelve and the sun was at the highest peak in the sky.