Chapter 3: Arrival

"Jez! Jez!" Danny called as I exited the "baggage claim" section of the airport. He rushed to me and gave me a long, bone crushing hug. He helped me load all the suitcases into the car.

"God Jez, are you moving in forever!" he said eyeing all my luggage.

"Haha, super funny," I said sarcastically.

"Hey, hey no need for sarcasm here," he said it slowly, putting his sunglasses on trying to look cool. Keyword: trying.

I pulled out my Iphone scrolled down through my pictures until I found the right one to show him. It was a saying written in a big, black, bold font.

Sarcasm: the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it.

I pointed at him.

The smile he had on his face dropped and he gave me a hurtful look. I couldn't help but laugh at his sudden change in expression.

"Let's go," I say as I walk him over to the car. We load the things in the trunk and then I slide into the passenger seat. He turns the engine on and starts driving. Not one word did he say to me the first ten minutes of the ride. Was he mad at me? Wow, what a girl! "Silent treatment, huh?" No answer. "Fine! whatever,call me when you get over your little girl act!" I was getting upset. Why is he taking this so personally? I was only joking. He really needs to learn the difference between insults and jokes. My expression must have been funny because he glanced my way and then starting laughing hysterically.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"Your facial expression!"

"You weren't really mad were you?" I asked him finally figuring out what was going on.

"No, I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you the silent treatment," he said still laughing.

"Jerk," I whispered.

"What was that?" he asked finally calming down.

"I was just saying how much I missed you," I gave him a fake smile.

"Aww Jez! I missed you too!" he smiled at me.

Welcome to Boston, I thought.

Danny pulled up in front of a red brick building at the end of Marshall Street. The building had about twelve stories and had a beautiful garden out back. It also had a giant pool and a tennis and basketball court. The weather was so cold that no one dared go to the pool. I checked the tempeture on my phone. 40 F and it was only October. I couldn't imagine how cold it got around Christmas time. People in Boston must be used to feeling like popscicles, I thought. We quickly grabbed all the bags and headed to the front door. By the time we were inside I was freezing. I am not used to the cold. I live in Miami for crying out loud! When was it cold there? Never! Maybe two days in the year would it be in the fifties but thats about it.

"Look at you! Your nose is red! Like Rudolph's!" Danny laughed at me.

"You enjoy bugging me don't you?" I asked him annoyed. Couldn't he act his age?

"I wasn't kidding when I said I missed you Jez," he smiled playfully. Great, I thought sarcastically.

It turns out Danny, Lena, and Dad lived on the seventh floor of the building. Their apartment was cozy, it was like a replica of my home in Miami. A beautiful black piano sat in the center of the living room and the violin and guitar stood next to it on their stands. The piano was adorned with pictures of our family. One of me and Danny holding Lena the day she was born. Another was of my fifth birthday. It showed me with my sparkling princess crown and cake all over my face, my face was priceless. Danny stood next to me trying to hide his hands that were full of the cake he had smashed onto my face. His face looked innocent even though I knew he was guilty. Another was of baby Lena at the beach. The sun was shining directly on her and she was trying her best to smile at the camera, even though she was squinting. There were some action shots of Danny's track meets and many of Lena and I playing out instruments together. But the one that caught my attention the most was one where we were all standing in front of Cinderella's castle at Disney World. My parents had there arms wrapped around each other and Danny was standing in front of them with me by his side holding three year old Lena's hand. We were all smiling, it seemed like forever when this was us, one big, happy family. Memories, I thought.