Chapter 10: Those Casual Meetings At Starbucks

Austin’s POV

After school ends, I drive my way home ready to start an afternoon filled with procrastination and sleep. I mean yes, I’ll do my homework but, not at the exact moment I get home.  It’s one of those little things that I keep hidden. The bad boy isn’t supposed to turn his homework in right? Well I do. I just think that detention is such a waste of time. I could be doing more entertaining things during that time. I could be with that blonde cheerleader for one.

I arrive home and park my car in my designated spot leaving the spot that was meant for my dad empty. Even though he has been gone for years now, my mom still doesn’t let us park our car in his spot. She says that it was his parking space and no one else’s. She is very strict when it comes to small details like that. The right side of her bed at night must remain empty too , because that was his side of the bed. I honestly worry about her. It hit us all hard when my father passed, but I think she was the one who took it the worst.

I sigh and enter the house trying to push thoughts of my father away as I make my way to the vacant kitchen and look for something to snack on. A note was left on the counter; I took it in my hands and glanced over it. It was from my mom:

To the son that found this note first,

I’m working a night shift today at the hospital and won’t be home till tomorrow in the morning. There are frozen pizza’s in the freezer for dinner and please don’t make too big a mess.

Love you both,

Mom

That woman works way too much.

As I’m putting away all the ingredients I used to make a sandwich, Channing arrived home and threw his book bag on the couch and jumped on it slouching and covering his face with his hands.

“What’s wrong? Did someone get an A- on a test today?” I smirk at him in the most sinister way possible.  He uncovers his face and gives me a stern look.

“No, it’s just been a long day,” he sighs placing his hands behind his head in a comfortable manner.

“I heard you met with Jezebel today,” I tell him making my way to the living room couch too.

“Yea, she was not what I was expecting at all,” he says.

“What do you mean?” I ask curiously. Did something bad happen? I mean knowing Jezebel she probably made one of her smart comments. Anyone would get pissed when she has her little attitude moments, I find then quite comical actually. The way she gets so heated up and bites back at you with the first thing that comes to her mind. I’ll give it to her she is good. She almost won the battle last time. Almost.

“When you told me that a smart, over obsessive girl was your partner I expected a short little nerd coming my way with a tower of books. Not her.” He looks at me a “duh” expression.

My eyebrows scrunch up in confusion at his statement. What did he mean?

“Was she that bad?” I ask.

“No, that’s the problem” he says.

“Why is that a problem?” I don’t understand him.

“It’s not” he shrugs.

“What do you mean ‘it’s not’ you just said it was” I shake my head at him giving him that most puzzled facial expression I could muster.

“No I didn’t,” he says. Is he for real?

“I really don’t get you! You’re supposed to be the smart one! You just said that her not being a nerd was a problem,” I repeat a little louder this time.