Your Song

"Here tell us what you think." Mike said as he positioned his fingers on the neck of the guitar. He and Peter began strumming away at a sweet tune. Davy closed his eyes to listen as he hummed along. When they finished the song, the best we'd made in years, I smiled a genuine smile and congratulated them. 

"That was amazing guys! We should add that to the album. Let's go inside so I can see how the drums will sound with it. I like how fast it is. I can't wait to try that with my set." I rambled on but I let my words fade. Davy was avoiding my eyes. Peter looked at Mike like he didn't know what to say. Mike squirmed uncomfortably. They were holding something from me.

"What?" I asked. "Do we need to work on it some more or something?"

"Uh, well, no." Mike said through a cloud of nicotine. "It's, uh, just that we...urm...thought that maybe...this could be a song with only guitars." Mike said.

"Oh..." No drums. They didn't want drums. I was fine with that. Some songs just sound better without drums. "Well I can go get my acoustic and practice with you guys. I think that would sound really good."

Mike laughed breathily. "That's not necessary." He said. "The song was written for two guitars."

"It's nothing against you Micky, but this is something the three of us put together for ourselves. We kind of just wanted it to be the three of us. I'm sorry." Davy explained.

"Sorry man. It was just kind of on the spot. If you had wrote it with us, we could have added you into it." Peter apologized.

"Oh. Okay. So you don't want me in it...at all." I felt an acerbic emotion deep in my chest. Why exclude me? It was our band. I had a part in it, I am the drummer. They couldn't have forgotten about my presence altogether. But I forced my cantankerous feelings down and put on my fake smile.

"Peace, Micky, please don't be angry." Peter consoled, truly concerned.

"Angry?" I scoffed. "Why would I be angry? I don't have to do a thing! I can just sit back and watch you guys do the work." I laughed.

"You sure?" Davy asked.

"Yes." I laughed.

"We shouldn't have showed him." Peter whispered to Mike. I didn't really hear him because Davy started talking to me about the lyrics and his inspiration for them. I was aware that Pete and Michael were talking, but I never knew what they were saying until later.

"What?" Asked Michael.

"The song, it's for his birthday, but he just thinks we excluded him." Peter said. "We have to take this mind off of it."

Mike finally conceded. But he never voiced his consent. He just blew the last bit of smoke into Peter's face and snuffed out his cigarette. Peter breathed the smoke in deeply, to be funny, and began coughing. He convulsed with an arid hack. The rest of us laughed at his stupidity. Or maybe it wasn't stupidity, because we all forgot about the song and laughed uncontrollably at him. If anything made me happy it was my friends and I getting along like we used to.