Chapter 23

The entire day from when we left Adrian, Ray's mood was bad. He always looked at me with a murderous glare and didn't speak much. I didn't understand what exactly was wrong with him, but I wasn't in the position to ask him what was wrong. I was suspecting it was because of Adrian, but I couldn't work out a reason why he would be angry because of Adrian.

"Why are you picking at your food? Eat properly!" I frowned and he glared at me.

"Oh, so now you are gonna lecture me about my eating habits?" He retorted.

"I'm not lecturing you. I'm just- Why are you leaving all the green peas out?"

"Oh, so you are concerned about the green peas now? Why? Do they resemble his eyes?" He questioned with a sarcastic tone and it took me a minute to process that.

"His eyes? You mean Adrian's?" I asked and he rolled his eyes.

"Right. Look at you pretending not to know anything."

"What do you mean? Why are you talking like that? What happened to you?"

"Of course. Nothing happened," he looked away.

"Is this because of Adrian, Ray? Coz I have to let you know that there is nothing going on between us."

"If there was nothing going on between you, then why was he giving you the gooey eyes? Why were you being so nice to him?"

"He is my friend, Ray. Of course I'll be nice to him," I snapped.

"You can be nice to a friend and not to me?"

"What?" I looked at him in disbelief. What was he talking about? "When wasn't I nice to you?"

"Oh please! All these months that we've spent together, you were never half as much nice to me. In fact, you always treated me like something you loath."

"How am I expected to be nice to a person whom I just got married to without my consent?" I yelled. He was being so illogical! Also, why was he being like this when he already knew that I liked him? Was he mocking me?

"Well you weren't the only one who got married without consent," he retorted. "I'm a victim too, you know?"

"You made sure that I knew. Every moment we spent together," I fell silent as I looked into his eyes. He averted his own and looked down at his plate. There was a thick silence between us and the food in front of us didn't seem all that edible anymore. I just didn't wanna be with him. The way he always made me so aware about my position with him made me feel angry. Why was I left to this kind of fate? Didn't I deserve love? When he could have a girlfriend even though I was his wife, why wasn't I let to be nice to my own childhood friend?

The waiter came to our table and cleared the atmosphere for us. "May I get something else for you people?" He asked and I simply looked at Ray. I wasn't the one who was gonna pay for all this and neither was I hungry anymore.

"May I have a chocolate ice cream?" Ray asked and I looked up at him, startled. When did he start liking chocolate ice cream?

"Sure, sir. Anything for the lady?"

"This is for the lady," Ray replied and the waiter walked away bowing to us.

"I didn't ask for the ice cream," I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I couldn't think of a better apology treat than this," he shrugged and I stared at him baffled.

"Apology treat?" I asked just to make sure that I wasn't just hearing things.

He nodded. "I'm not the kind of a guy who is gonna make a girl feel bad while we are on a date."

"D-date?" I stuttered. No one told me that this was a date! I thought that this was just me showing around the place to Ray! "You never told me..." I trailed off.