Red

The small forest I'd landed in was dark

The small forest I'd landed in was dark. Thick fog drifted across the air. I heard sounds coming from what I assumed was a nearby road, and lights flashed through the darkness. I followed them, skirting around trees and keeping low.

Behind a tree I saw a crouching form. I recognized the flaming hair.

I bent next to Andi, watching the lights drifting off a facility in front of us.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I growled.

"I told you, I like field work," she replied non-nonchalantly.

"You're not trained for this sort of thing."

"The hell I'm not. Watch me."

I crouched lower as trucks rumbled past. When the last one did, Andi dashed out of hiding. I realized what she was doing and followed. Together we vaulted into the back of the truck. Two masked men were inside. They stared at us, shocked.

"Fellas," I greeted.

They came at us. I punched one square in the face and, while he was dazed, grasped him by the back of his suit and tossed him out. I went to deal with the other soldier, but it seemed that I didn't need to. Andi kicked him in the face, shattering his goggles. She then grabbed the eye protection and yanked it, releasing it to snap back into her opponent's face. She then grabbed him the way I did, and threw him out.

She didn't even appear out of breath when she turned to me. She grinned mischievously. "I told you, Captain."

We rode the rest of the way out in silence, praying that we wouldn't be discovered by any other soldiers. We suddenly felt the truck turn and reverse slowly, finally coming to a halt. I readjusted my shield to hold it where the flap of the truck opened. And, unfortunately for him, a soldier investigated. I smashed it into his face, the force of it sending him flying.

Andi jumped out and raced away with me tow.

"Andi, wait!" I hissed.

She dashed through the clearing, weaving around tanks and ducking around soldiers. She climbed up a tank and streaked across the roof of a building. I chased after. She was fast and nimble, that was for sure.