Chapter 18

Estelle's P.O.V.

It was darker than I had ever seen. The trees were close to each other, the moon wasn't visible and it was too dangerous to use our torches or flashlights.

"Josh needs to rest." Amy whispered. "We can't hold him for much longer either and I think he's passing out for real."

"I hear braindeads." I mumbled. "A few ones that are really close, and a whole lot in the distance. What are we going to do?"

"We don't know how many are close to us." Niall stated, "And we don't know if there's shelter nearby."

"I have an idea." Evan said. "But it's kinda gross."

"I don't care. As long as we can get Josh to a resting place safe." Amy replied.

"We're going to have to kill a few zombies and smear their guts and blood on us." Evan said. "That's the only option we have if we want to get past a hoard of zombies."

"That's disgusting." Emma shivered.

"It's our only choice." I said. "I'll go up front, kill some of them and make sure there aren't more this close to us."

"I'll go with you." Pete immediately said.

Ross stepped closer to me, "Me too."

I grabbed my baseball bat and gave it to Pete. "No guns."

Amy rested Josh against a tree and walked up to Ross. "Be careful." she said as she handed him her machete."

"We'll be back soon to come get you guys." I said.

Me, Ross and Pete walked towards the noise of the few zombies as quiet as possible. We saw them and made sure that we all noticed that there were five.

"I'll take the two on the left." Ross whispered, "You guys take the other three."

I nodded and saw Ross sneaking up the the zombie that was closest to him and he quietly decapitated it.

I got behind a tree and aimed my arrow at one of the zombies that was walking off to the other side. Because it was so dark, it was hard to see exactly where he was. I took a few breaths and took the shot. My arrow missed the zombie by half an inch an hit the tree next to the zombie. That drew his attention and he turned around to the tree. I shot another arrow and that one went straight through his head.

I sighed and smiled a little. I turned around to look for Pete and Josh, but I immediately got pushed to the tree by a zombie that I hadn't noticed or heard. I was pretty sure that one wasn't here a minute ago.

I wanted to scream for help, but that would only draw attention to the other zombies and that would bring the whole group in danger.

I reached with one hand for my knife, but I remember that I had given it to Emma. Shit. I tried to kick and push the zombie off of me, but for some reason that made him angrier and stronger.

Hearing some noise, I didn't pay attention to it. I could only think about the group, especially Amy. I had done terrible things and barely apologised to her. Yes, I said a quick sorry and she accepted it. But I could have done more.

Suddenly I saw a machete go through the side of the zombie's head and it fell down as soon as the machete got out. I saw Ross standing in front of me and I kind of fell into his arms.

"You should have let it kill me." I quietly sobbed. "I deserve it. After what I did to you."

"Elle, for fuck's sake." Ross said as he put one arm tightly around my shoulders. "I forgave you. I don't care about that anymore. We're friends, I don't want you dead."

"Thank you." I mumbled. "I'm going to pay you back. I promise."

"You don't ha-" he said, but I cut him of. "I want to."

"Let's find Pete and go back to the group." he then said as I let go of him. "Okay."

I didn't tell Pete about what happened, because I didn't want him to worry about me. Ross seemed to get it, because he didn't talk about it either.

We took the group back to the zombies and gathered them all to one spot.

"Alright. Let's cut these bitches open." Amy stated as she stuck her knife inside of one and ripped it open.

"Make sure you cover you whole body." Evan said as he smeared some blood on his face. "But do not get in in your mouth or in open wounds."

I looked at Pete and he smirked a little, "Don't worry, I'll still like you even when you're covered in zombie guts and blood."

I rolled my eyes and quickly gave him a kiss. "Let's get this over with."