Chapter Four

Jessie's POV

I kissed Seth goodbye. He couldn't drive me home today because he had basketball practice, so I called my parents to come pick me up. I wanted to visit them. I missed home.

Ever since Seth had announced me as his mate, I had to leave and live with him. Though deep down I know he isn't my mate. I love him, but the way he makes me feel doesn't match how my mom described it would be. I just think something else could be better.

I sighed as I watched him walk away. I don't want to hurt him, but if he isn't my mate I can't just fake it forever. I made my way over to the bench in front of the school and caught that very same scent I had the luxury of filling my senses with earlier. It was coming from the girl on the bench. The one I bumped into this morning. The one that wouldn't look at me. The one that sent tingles up my arm. Curious, I decided to speak to her.

"Mind if I sit here?" I asked. For the first time today she looked up at me and said "no, go a.." She gasped and I was suddenly sucked in and felt myself trapped in her gorgeous green/grey eyes.

My wolf screamed, "MATE!" I knew Seth wasn't my mate. I was just as excited as my wolf. Even though she was a girl I couldn't bring myself to reject her. She was unlike anything I have ever seen. Her waist-length blonde hair cascading around her while she looked at me in disbelief. I wanted nothing but to run my fingers through it.

She turned away from me looking as if she was fighting an internal battle and I felt my heart break in my chest as she whispered, "No."

I was crushed and angry. Ignoring the pain, I turned and ran down the road and into the woods. I shifted into my white wolf and ran until my lungs burned and my legs gave out. I crashed to the ground and whined furiously. I finally managed to get to my paws and let out a heartbroken howl. A twig snapped behind me. I turned abruptly and was met with the almost white eyes of Seth's wolf. He nudged my snout and shifted back to his human form.

"Shift Jessie and tell me what's wrong," he demanded.

Even though I am royal and his alpha voice has no power over me I decided to get this talk over with. I shifted back and Seth took in my naked form. I made him look me in the eyes because the thought of him seeing me naked or wanting me made me feel dirty and unfaithful.

He reached out for me. "Don't touch me," I snapped at him.

"Whoa. What is your problem?" He asked obviously confused.

"How did you know something was wrong and where to find me?"

"I heard your saddened howl and we are mates. I will always know where to find you Jessie."

"We are NOT mates Seth." He looked at me with a questioning look. "I found my mate today," I whispered, knowing what would come next.

"Are you lying because you don't wanna be with me anymore? Is that it, huh!? You are mine, MINE Jessie," He yelled.

"The fates prove otherwise Seth. Now calm down. Why in the hell would I lie about finding my mate!? If it makes you any happier SHE REJECTED ME!" I fell to the ground as sobs racked my body.

He knelt beside me and apologized for being such an ass. "Hold on, did you say she?" I nodded and he shook his head.

"But how? You're not a- a lesbian. Are you?"

"No! But she is my mate and I love her no matter her sexuality or gender!" I spat.

We sat in silence for a few minutes until Seth decided to break it by saying, "What are you gonna do? You can't just sit here and cry forever."

I was surprised he didn't fight for his right to be with me, even though now he didn't have that right. Maybe he didn't wanna stress me even more than I already was. I was thankful for his thoughfulness though.

I laughed. He looked confused. "I am a Royal, Seth. I will wait for or fight to have my mate forever if it takes that long." He nodded.

"Look, can you just take me home, MY home. I have to meet my parents there and explain why I was gone when they came to pick me up." All he did was nod once again. I could see sadness in his features. He had just lost someone he loved. I felt nothing towards him anymore and that made me feel bad. He gave me his basketball Letterman and led me to his car. It didn't provide me with the warmth it used too. I was too shattered and too cold on the inside to feel anything.

--------------------------------------------------------

Aww poor Jessie :'(. Tell me what ya think ;). You know what to do .-.

Veronica