Chapter 26: Fault

Chapter 26: Fault

After flying back to the gym, somehow still not beating Shelia (I seriously think she'd been bitten by a radioactive Spinarak), Ash's eyes once again focused with that determination only my dad's eyes could have. "Alright, Pryce. I'm going to ask again. Will you battle with me?"

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no," Pryce answered sadly.

"Why?"

"We've all had enough excitement for one day." Pryce patted Piloswine, who nuzzled his hand. He was right, it had been a long day. Besides, the sun was setting. "You'll have to come back tomorrow."

"Alright! Finally," Ash exclaimed.

"Finally he'll stop asking," Misty said wryly.

"Badge seven, here we come."

"He gets really into this, doesn't he?" Daniel asked me.

"Yep. That's why he's such a great Trainer," I replied.

"I wouldn't say great," Anthony muttered. I punched his shoulder a bit.

"Rest up, Ash. You'll need it for tomorrow," Pryce warned.

"We've got this in the bag." Ash formed a fist, squeezing his hand tightly before waving bye.

We all said good night and headed towards the Pokemon Center, going automatically to the cafeteria. Our conversation was very casual and a bit quieter. It seemed like every day with my parents was an absolute adventure. Aka- tiring.

"We need to talk." Anthony leaned closer to me as he muttered under his breath.

"Who?" I frowned. Why would he need to talk to me?

"All of us. After dinner."

"Fine."

When we all finished, Ash jumped up from the table first. "I'm going to go take a walk and think about my battle."

"I think I'll go with you." Misty picked up Togepi. "It's too early to sleep still."

"I think I'll go look for Nurse Joy," Brock announced, leaving before anyone could tell him otherwise.

"And you accuse me of being weird," Daniel murmured to me.

"I'm stating facts, not accusing," I huffed.

Ash was scratching Pikachu's head thoughtfully while waiting for Misty to grab her bag. It was so odd to see them spend time together, yet not romantically. Sure, they were young, but still, they were my parents and I was used to seeing them act really cheesy around each other.

"Alright, I'm ready," Misty stated.

"About time." Ash grinned. "You take longer than a Slowpoke to get ready."

Misty's face reddened a bit in anger. "Maybe that's because your brain is so slow it just feels longer than it actually is."

Ash laughed and they headed out the door, Misty's irritation showing in her voice.

"Is it just me, or did they forget we existed for a second?" Daniel asked.

"It did kind of feel like that," Amanda confirmed. I agreed, but didn't say anything. I wasn't sure what to think about my mom getting so upset.