Chapter 13: Double Battles

"Can Daniel and I battle first?" I asked. 

"Sure. Be our guest," Anthony obliged. 

"Cool. Zuko, up for a battle?" I grinned. Zuko stood up on two legs as if to intimidate Ash and Misty, mimicking my smile except with much sharper teeth. 

"This will be good practice for Cyndaquil." Ash exclaimed, taking out a Poke Ball and clicking the center so it expanded. "Cyndaquil, come on out!" 

"Corsola, let's show them how great Water Pokemon are!" Misty threw her own Poke Ball into the air. 

Corsola emerged from the inside of her Poke Ball, looking quite happy to be out in the sun. She hopped around, smiling and singing. Cyndaquil popped out, looking very sleepy as he yawned. 

"Awe, he's so cute!" I practically squealed. "Can I hold him after the battle, Ash? Please!" 

"Uh, sure I guess." Ash looked very taken back by my sudden girliness. 

"Remember when you were that small, Zuko? Wow, such great memories." Zuko sighed, looking embarrassed, but also curious. I knew my dad's Cyndaquil evolved into a Typhlosion and had become a mentor and friend to Zuko over the years. Zuko tugged my sleeve as if to wake me out of my nostalgia. "Oh, right. Sorry, I'll pay attention now." 

He ran forward to face Corsola and Cyndaquil. 

"Snitch, let's show them your epic moves!" Daniel pointed to the field for about ten seconds with the air of confidence only he could possess, then turned around. "Snitch, where'd you go?" 

I sighed. "You're always losing him. I wish he couldn't turn invisible." 

"He's not lost, he's just trying to be funny." Daniel defended his Pokemon, putting his hands up to his mouth to make his voice louder, "Come out, Snitch! Olly olly oxen free!" 

I rolled my eyes right before a huge purple mass with huge red slits for eyes roared, "GEEEEEENGAAAAAR!" right in front of me. 

"AHHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed, falling over. 

The troublesome Gengar pointed at me and laughed. Daniel beamed at him. 

"Will you stop doing that?" I yelled. "Zuko, use Flamethrower on him!" 

"Does she always fall over like that?" I heard Ash ask. "That's the second time in the past hour." 

"Seems like it," Misty replied flatly. 

"Come on, Em. We're supposed to battle," Daniel switched to a low voice, "your parents, not each other." 

"Tell that to Snitch," I grumbled, standing up with as much dignity as I could muster. "Don't you do that again." 

Snitch gave a mischievous grin and waved playfully before turning towards my parents. 

"Um, ready to battle?" Misty asked uncertainly. 

"Yeah. You guys can attack first since you're... ready," I finished lamely, seeing as I was still flustered and trying to get my head in the battle. 

"Ok. Corsola, use Bubblebeam on Zuko!" Misty said. 

"Cyndaquil, use Flamethrower on Snitch!" 

Cyndaquil's back erupted into flames as he opened his mouth, ejecting a huge inferno towards Snitch. Snitch moved so fast to the side that it looked like he'd teleported. Corsola let out a jet of bubbles from her mouth, which hit Zuko's belly. He winced a little, but remained otherwise still.