Chapter 45: Back to the Past to go to the Future, but still the Past

"Em."

No.

"Em."

I was too foggy to even want to reply. I felt something against my cheek. Making me want to drift off more.

"Em." This time shaking was involved.

I opened my eyes groggily.

"We need to go back to the past."

"Past?"

"To get to the present. With our friends."

Yeah, that made sense. "Eight more hours."

"Come on."

"No."

"We can sleep when we get to the right time."

"It's time to sleep now."

A tired sigh. "Do you remember that time we went swimming and you wore a bikini and I asked you why? And then you dove-"

My eyes flew open. "Ok, let's go."

"Oh, you're awake," Daniel, the past one, said cheerfully. "Hold on to me, tight."

"We don't have to say good bye to ourselves?" That also made sense.

"Nope. Just grab on."

We were already sitting next to each other on the couch. It was easy to maneuver my arms around him as he held the gun. He pulled the trigger. The same whirlwind of screaming and bashing together happened. I felt like I'd be sick. But then it was over and we were on the forest floor right where we'd left.

"Daniel!"

"Emma!"

"Oh, thank God."

"What happened?"

Voices filled my ears before I could even register what was going on. Daniel helped me up, explaining what had happened to everyone. Zuko was licking my hand, nuzzling against me. I bent down and hugged him, so glad to be back. I missed him.

They asked plenty of questions, but I was tuning it out. I saw Ursaring off at a distance. I nodded to him, hoping he understood. Hoping that he knew how badly we needed Celebi. He faded off into the distance.

I felt Misty next to me. "Hey."

"Hey," I said, turning to see her.

"Thanks for saving me," she said quietly.

"It was nothing."

Her blue eyes stared at mine. And then she hugged me so suddenly I forgot that I was supposed to hug back.

"I didn't know what to think when you disappeared. I thought you were gone forever." She hugged me tighter. "And I didn't know what to think. Or feel. But...everything's ok."

"Hey, Misty?"

"Yeah?"

"I know what happens to me in the future now too," I whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"...My future self was there. And she told me. About Daniel." I took a deep breath. "I thought you might want to know that I share the same burden as you do."

Misty pulled away to study my face. After a minute she smiled and shook her head. "I may have wanted to hold a grudge or something, but I didn't want you to have to go through the same thing."