Chapter 7: Plans Don't Always Work

After going over the main plan, the backup plan, the backup backup plan, and some odd moment involving memories of eating tacos, Daniel reassured us we'd all be fine as long as we stuck together like Magneton. 

Seeing Anthony and Amanda looking like they'd been captured and dragged here against their will (which, technically they basically were), I felt my face drain of the color it had left as we headed in the direction we'd heard Jason and Carter go. 

"There's a stairwell." Anthony pointed. "Let's go quietly." 

I noticed how he looked at Daniel as he said the word "quietly" with a little more force than necessary. 

As we entered the stairwell, I saw a sign that read "Main Control Room" pointing to level two while the other arrow that pointed down was labeled "Technology Testing Floor". We tiptoed down the metal stairs, trying not to make them echo and alert Team Rocket of our position. 

We made it to the bottom and Amanda grabbed the doorknob, looking as scared as if she'd just grabbed an Ekans by the tail. She opened it slowly, peering through the crack. 

"There are a bunch of crates set up in front of the door. We can stand without being seen," she whispered, opening the door slowly and hiding behind the crates which were stacked about five feet tall.

We all took turns running from the door to the boxes, which were about ten feet apart. Fortunately, there was so much going on down here that no one was watching the door. In fact, it seemed like the whole building's night staff was working and possibly part of the day staff considering how busy everyone was. 

"What are they doing?" I whispered, looking over the boxes at the huge metal anchors that seemed to be holding some sort of ten foot tall arch that looked like an overlarge bubble wand that was about eight feet in diameter. It had a ramp way leading up to it as if to make it easier to get to the center of the ring. Every Team Rocket member was flocking to it, connecting wires everywhere. Fighting type Pokemon moved heavy crates of materials in the room, arranging things for their Trainers as they connected all the equipment together.  

I looked up to see that there was a metal staircase leading to a second floor of the three story high room. Scientists wearing lab coats with "R" labels on the pockets worked at computers, occasionally leaning over and tapping a neighbor's screen or clip board and arguing. I saw windows above where the third floor would be in this huge warehouse-like basement. Other scientists stared down through a huge panel of windows, looking eager about the progress being made. 

"I don't know, it looks like they made some sort of door to nowhere." Daniel frowned, sitting with his back to the crates. 

Anthony's eyes narrowed. "I think they're working on some sort of portal." 

"Portal?" Amanda repeated. "What, to a different dimension or something?" 

"Maybe," Anthony answered grimly. "The Legendary Pokemon Giratina is supposed to be from a place called the Distortion World. Not to mention there are Pokemon like Dialga and Palkia, who can control time and space." 

I frowned. "Well, that can be a problem." 

"Whatever it is might not be to go to other dimensions, though," Daniel reminded us. "It could be some sort of death ray thing." 

We all gazed at him before I replied, "And that's better for the world how?" 

Daniel shrugged. "It could be a quicker way to snuff it, right?" 

"Way to be optimistic," I falsely cheered. 

"But I did tell you guys they were up to something huge down here, right?" Daniel said smugly. "When we save the world, I get the credit for discovering it needed saving."