Chapter 19

Chapter 19

                Nothing interesting happened. Days of training and patrols dragged by. Her dreams would’ve been occupied by Stonepaw if she wasn’t stuck training with Thunder.

                She forced herself to fake eagerness, ask for the tom’s advice, and watch closely as he demonstrated each move, knowing she would one day have to use these against him and even that might not be enough. It was possible, very possible that “the dark splash of murder and betrayal” could be Thunder, but for some reason, it didn’t make sense. Why would the prophecy contain the words “dark splash” if it was Thunder? She knew words in predictions often were related to a cat’s name. There was no cat she knew named Darksplash.

                Stonepaw hadn’t spoken to her since the Gathering. He’d said he’d send a message, but it’d been a little over a half-moon and she’d heard nothing.

                Crazypaw dragged herself out of the comfortable apprentices den and into the dawn light when Liontail called her name. She stretched briefly in the sunshine and then padded leisurely over to the camp entrance, where five cats were waiting. “What patrol are we doing now?” she asked, yawning with boredom.

                Liontail gave her a disapproving glance before responding. “Dawn patrol along the WindClan border,” he explained. “Your siblings and their mentors are going with us.”

                The walk to the WindClan border seemed slower than ever, but Crazypaw didn’t dare ask them to hurry in fear of angering Liontail.

                But suddenly, Liontail halted before reaching the WindClan border. The rushing of the stream wasn’t even audible and the stream itself wasn’t visible. “WindClan,” he hissed.

                Crazypaw lifted her head and sniffed the air. Sure enough, the strong, pungent odor of WindClan filled the air. “They’ve tried to move the border!” Splashheart shouted angrily.

                A dark gray tom slithered out of the bushes and looked up at the three menacing warriors, seeming completely fearless. “Oh, really?” the WindClan deputy meowed sarcastically, raising an eyebrow mockingly. “Reach that conclusion finally? How’d you figure it out, Splashpaw?”

                Splashheart marched forward angrily and swiped his claws across Smokewhisker’s face. He stumbled backwards and cried, “WindClan, attack!”

                A group of warriors dashed out from their hiding places, quite possibly as much as half of the Clan. The patrol was instantly outnumbered and outmatched. One warrior leapt onto Crazypaw’s back and she tumbled onto the ground. Liontail was defending himself from two warriors almost as big and muscular as him. “Streampaw, return to camp! Reinforcements!” Liontail yowled, and out of the corner of her eye, she saw her brother dash off.

                Crazypaw tried not to get distracted but she couldn’t help wondering, Is Stonepaw here?

                For the first time since her dream about Thunder’s evil plans, she was glad for his training. His voice was in her head. If you get pinned to the ground, you’ll need to do something unexpected to escape…

                The warrior seemed prepared for her to try to roll off to one side. But no cat around the lake could possibly expect Thunder’s move. She pressed her hind legs against the ground and pushed backwards. She scrambled back onto her feet and hit the warrior hard on the head. One shove was enough to send him plummeting down the hill towards the border stream.