Chapter 23

Chapter 23

                Crazyflame stood by her leader’s body for a few long moments, frozen in shock. Then, Honeywhisker was marching towards her. “Crazyflame, if we leave now, we can reach the Moonpool tonight,” the medicine cat meowed.

                Crazyflame looked stubbornly into her eyes. “I am going to sit vigil with my leader,” she meowed.

                Honeywhisker sighed. “Fine,” she responded.

                Crazyflame helped drag Cloudstar’s body to the center of the clearing. Tonight was one of the nights I was supposed to meet Stonestream. He’ll wonder where I am, but he’ll hopefully show up the day after tomorrow.

                 She pressed her nose into her deceased leader’s white fur, which was so unnaturally cold, and then the next thing she knew she was opening her eyes as Morningblaze tapped her on the shoulder. She was instantly ashamed. Sorry, Cloudstar, if you can hear me, I didn’t mean to fall asleep.

                “You must appoint a new deputy,” Morningblaze whispered, pointing with her tail towards the sky.

                Crazyflame was startled to realize it was almost moonhigh. She scrambled up onto the Highledge. Who will I choose? I haven’t even thought about it at all! But…I suppose there is one cat…

                “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!” she yowled loudly. “I know some of you are doubtful about how good of a leader I’ll be, but I will do my best. I wasn’t prepared at all or anything, but I will defend this Clan with all nine of the lives I’ll receive.”

                “I say these words before StarClan, and the spirit of Cloudstar, that they may hear and approve of my choice,” she recited the words of the ceremony. “The new deputy of ThunderClan will be Liontail.”

                Liontail stood and looked excited. “Thank you, Crazystar,” he began.

                “Not Crazystar yet,” she corrected. “Crazyflame for now.”

                “Well, then, thank you, Crazyflame,” he tried again. “I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for a long time now and am pleased to have reached this goal. I hope to be your deputy for many long seasons and to help guide the Clan for the rest of my life.”

                She nodded quickly. “Thank you, Liontail,” she meowed. “Remember to organize all of the patrols tomorrow.”

                “Of course,” he responded instantly.

***

                Crazyflame returned to sitting vigil with Cloudstar until dawn. She watched as the elders carried his lifeless body out of camp to bury him.

                Honeywhisker marched up to her once more. “We’ll leave for the Moonpool at sunhigh,” she announced.

                Crazyflame watched as Liontail easily handled the task of organizing morning patrols. Hopefully, he proves to be a good, trustworthy choice. He seems to have natural leadership skills and good experience.

                The morning passed quickly. As the sun was at its highest point in the sky, Crazyflame padded into Honeywhisker’s den.