Chapter 25

Chapter 25

                Splashheart’s attack still hadn’t come, but Crazystar knew better than to doubt Thunder’s words.

                Three moons ago, Stonestream had been released from apprentice duties but she knew most cats didn’t trust him anyways. On the same day, Graypaw had received the name of Graywhisker. And only a few sunrises ago, Blossompaw had become Blossomtail and the ThunderClan leader’s apprentice was Brightleaf. There were currently no apprentices, and the younger warriors weren't happy about being back on apprentice duties.

                Not often enough for cats to get suspicious, but just enough to assume they were talking about Stonestream’s position in the Clan and his temporary duties, Crazystar would order him to come to her den and they would talk just like they used to at the WindClan border.

                It was just like any of the days of the past four moons. The sun shone brightly and a few thin silver clouds drifted in the blue sky. But Crazystar definitely was expecting Splashheart’s attack sometime soon…

                So she wasn’t surprised at all when Splashheart dashed into the camp and the ThunderClan warriors yowled with alarm. The surprising part was that he was alone. “Crazykit!” the gray-and-white tom called mockingly as she descended from her den. “Now presenting the great leader of ThunderClan!”

                “Shut up, Splash-loser!” she responded furiously.

                “Best insult you can come up with?” Splashheart sneered.

                “No,” she replied. “My best insult would be to tell someone that they have a face as ugly as yours!”

                Snickers came from her Clan. He didn’t know how to reply for a moment. “Well, at least I don’t live in a Clan lead by a cat who belongs in the nursery!”

                “Hmm,” Crazystar growled. “So he doesn’t deny it…”

                The cats of ThunderClan joined in. “Ugly!” Liontail shouted.

                “Pathetic!” Hawkwhisker added.

                “You look upset Splashheart,” Crazystar purred innocently. “Something wrong?”

                “I’m only upset because I’m looking at you!” Splashheart countered.

                “You’re upset because you know I’m an infinite amount of times more beautiful than you could ever be and that we’re all about to send you running for your mother?” she asked.

                “My mother’s dead!” he snarled.

                “Did she die from looking at you?” she questioned him. “I pity her…”

                “Shut up!” the traitorous tom ordered.

                “Funny,” she muttered. “Last time, I checked you have no authority over me because you’re no longer deputy. You’re not even a member of this Clan!”

                “That’s because your Clan is pathetic. They could never withstand an attack from my cats!” he responded. “Your final opportunity. Surrender the Clan and your territory to me, Crazystar, and I’ll allow you to continue to live here under my leadership. Or decline my offer and be destroyed.”