Because I'm his daughter

When Emma and Nate finally decided to roll out of bed- around noon- I waited until Emma dropped her hairbrush on my foot to ‘wake up’. I never even fell asleep.

“Morning, Nat.” Emma said to me, too cheerful for having just woken up. Nate looked at me like he never had before—suspiciously. I met his cold glare.

“What?” I asked. He looked like he was contemplating something.

“Dad didn’t hit you. He wouldn’t do something like that.” He said after at least two minutes of a staring contest. I looked at him, completely caught off guard. Did my own twin brother just side with the very man who would spit on my grave?

Excuse me? You wanna say that again?” I asked, trying not to let my voice crack. My emotions were still at an all-time-high, and I didn’t want my brother to see me cry. Again.

“Dad may hate you, but he would never go so far as to hit you. He told me you got too close to the chicken he was frying and the grease splashed and burned you. Dad wouldn’t hit you.” He retorted. He didn’t snap at me, but he didn’t say it nicely, either. I was about to snap at him, but I stopped myself

How would he know if father hit me or not?

I opened my mouth to say something, but closed it soon after. No words would come. Finally, after a mental battle in my head, I asked him. “How would you know if father hit me or not?”

He seemed caught off guard. His facial expression reminded me of an injured animal.

“Joey said something to me, but father told me something different. Joey has a history of stretching the truth, and you know that.”

“But he did hit me.” I said automatically. So Joey saw, and was on my side. But Nate didn’t believe him. Nate shook his head.

Emma had been watching the conversation from the foot of my bed.

“Look, Natalie. You look like you didn’t sleep well last night and I think now you’re imagining things.” Emma said kindly.

“You seriously don’t believe me?” I asked them both. They just looked at me. I gave them a dirty look as I walked out of the room and to the bathroom.

I brushed my hair then I brushed my teeth. My eyes weren’t bloodshot, but there were dark circles under them. My eyes were no longer the crystal-clear blue they once were. Now they looked cloudy, and almost blueish-green. My hair changed from brown to black too. Overall, since my mom died, I haven’t been the same person.

I like the person I’m becoming more than the person I was. I’m heartless when it comes to most things. I show emotion towards family. In battle, I’m merciless. Before, I used to hate battle. Now, I cannot wait for it. I want to fight all the time.

I feel rebellious. But Loki probably has a huge role in that.

I realized I was still staring at my reflection. I looked away and walked out of the bathroom. The whole family was in the kitchen and when I walked in they all stared at me like I was naked. (I looked down just to make sure I wasn’t and I was fully clothed.)

“Where did you go last night?” Father asked. I looked at him, then looked away.

“To the school.” I said as emotionlessly as possible.

“Did you sleep at all last night?” He asked.

“No.” I said simply. Joey got up and left.

“Why not?”

“Because I couldn’t.” I said and Nate and Emma left, leaving us alone.

“Do you feel like telling me what happened on the roof now? It’s a government issue. We need to know.”