What Have I Done?

*Third person POV*

Outside, Joey Nottmeier was running home. Or, at least what used to be home. His older sister killed his father. The only people he truly looked up to where his older brother and father… but now they’re both dead. The only ones left are Natalie and Joey.

Nothing will ever be the same.

***

“Did you mean it?” He asked. Natalie looked up at Loki, confused.

“What are you talking about?” She asked quietly.

“Do you really hate yourself?” Loki asked her, referring to when she said ‘me too’ when Joey told her he hated her. She looked away.

Back inside, Natalie Nottmeier was standing beside Loki, staring at her father’s body. It lay in two pieces, with a giant puddle of blood by both pieces. Natalie was emotionless. She wasn’t crying anymore, but she wasn’t smiling. Her green eyes were dull, almost lifeless. Her left hand was shaking, her right hand was being held by Loki.

Loki was looking at Natalie, watching her. Almost like he was expecting her to faint. There was a noise outside the window, and Loki and Natalie turned to look.

There were police patrolling the street. Natalie noticed something, and she squinted her eyes to see better. They weren’t police, they were S.H.I.E.L.D.. They were picking at the dead bodies, and addressing the wounded.

She turned to Loki.

“You need to leave.” She whispered. He shook his head.

“I’m not leaving you here.” He answered. Natalie let go of Loki’s hand, and stepped away from Loki.

“You need to leave. It’s S.H.I.E.L.D. out there. They don’t like you, remember? If you’re worried about me, I’ll be fine.” She said to Loki. He thought for a moment.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” He asked. Natalie nodded. “Alright then.” Loki took a step forward and kissed Natalie quickly on the lips.

“Answer my question, Natalie. Did you mean it?” Loki asked. Natalie nodded, without making eye contact. Loki leaned in, and kissed her again. “Don’t.”

He then walked away from Natalie, looking over his shoulder as he did so, and turned a corner.

Loki was gone, off to the Illit’s base, somewhere in the desert.

***

Natalie didn’t realize that Loki was controlling her emotions until he was gone. Suddenly, she felt like she was having a complete mental breakdown. She turned and ran from the building, limped across the street, and to her twin brother’s dead body.

Natalie was crying now, full on sobs escaping her lips as she held her brother’s body to her chest.

She really did hate herself, for what she’s done to her family.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered over, and over again.

***

In Nate’s final moments, he had no regret for saving Natalie’s life. He knew that Natalie would never forgive herself, and he knew that Natalie would think it was her fault. He knew his father would tell Natalie that he should have let her die, and he knew that Natalie would cause his father’s death.

***

Agent Phil Coulson saw the newest member of S.H.I.E.L.D. limp towards a dead body. He watched her cradle the body, sobbing over it. Director Nick Fury came up behind him, and cleared his throat.