Envious

*Nate’s P.O.V.*

Emma was starting to fall asleep on my chest. She only does this when she’s mentally exhausted.

Lightning filled the room and thunder soon followed.

“You good Nat?” I called out to her, knowing she’s had a fear of storms after the tree fell in our room.

“Yeah, I’m good!” She answered, as lightning filled the room and the windows.

It’s ironic how she’s afraid of thunder, but she has the same power as the God of Thunder. I laughed to myself and Emma rolled off my chest. She curled up into a ball next to me, her back barely touching me.

I sat up, and looked over to Natalie and Loki. Natalie was right up against Loki, his arms around her protectively. He was rubbing circles on her back.

When I first saw Loki, I was defensive. I was ready to attack him, mainly for calling out my sister’s name. Then I realized Natalie was running to him. To embrace him. Then she told me he would do no harm, and I believed her. If Natalie trusts Loki, then I trust Loki.

Natalie knows what she’s doing. She’s never made a bad decision. Our mother trained her very well, but she doesn’t know just how skilled she is.

Thunder cracked loudly, shaking the windows.

I remembered the last time there was a storm. Nat ended up sleeping in my bed, and stealing all my blankets. She seemed so helpless, like she did as a child.

I remembered all the things our dad said to Nat. I remembered how he said he always hated her. How could someone hate their own daughter? Especially one as extraordinary as Natalie. Did he ever hold her as a baby? Did he pretend to love her, for my mother’s sake?

My mother was so sweet and caring. How did she ever fall in love with a man like my father? Did she even know about his hatred of Natalie?

I ran my fingers through my hair, letting out a frustrated sigh. I looked over and saw that Loki was watching me. Natalie had moved away from him, and he was sitting, one of his hands still on her back. I got up and walked over to him.

“It’s too early to sleep, don’t you agree?” He said to me quietly.  I nodded.

“I’m not even tired.” I answered, and then there was awkward silence.

“I hear the last time Natalie loved someone she ripped his head off. Literally. Should I be frightened?” Loki asked me, and I laughed.

“She won’t hurt you. She loves you.” I answered. I didn’t even know Natalie really loved Jack. I thought it was just for show.

“Is it wrong that I want to kill your father?” Loki said suddenly. I shook my head.

“Not at all.”

“How could someone hate her? How could he put his hands on her the way he did?”

“She didn’t deserve that.” I agreed.

“It makes me so mad that I couldn’t be there to help her.”

“Not to be rude or anything, but I don’t think Nat would want your help. I think she would want to handle him on her own, so that she’s the one beating him. To show him how defiant she is.” I said, having seen in a vision that Natalie beats the shit out of our father.

“You’re right.” He agreed, looking at Natalie. It’s amazing to me how loving Loki is towards Nat. Growing up, I’ve always heard that Loki is a terrible, heartless person. But I can see that he’s not. He treats Natalie well, and that’s what matters.