I've torn apart my family

Just a note:

This is the last chapter of this story. There will be a sequel, for those who are interested. 

Also, my little sister made me a bagle and I ate it while I wrote this. So if something is really weird and fucked up in this chapter, it's because my sister put something in my bagle :)

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

“Natalie, relax.”

“Shut up, Coulson.” I said, not sure whether I was being sarcastic or not. He laughed.

“He’s your brother. Just go in and talk to him. I’ll be right outside, I promise.” Coulson said, putting a hand on my shoulder. I nodded, not because I was agreeing with him, but because I needed to acknowledge him. I put my hand on the handle and twisted.

The house smelled the same as always. It looked the same, with the closet to the left and the hallway right in front of me. I closed the door behind me as I stepped through the door frame. I started to walk, but with difficulty because my walking boot made me walk with a limp.

My hands started to shake as I passed the spot where Loki kissed me for the first time.

I walked into the kitchen. The only thing that changed was a pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Joey’s definitely here.

“Joey?” I called. I heard nothing, at first. Then I heard it. It sounded like a cross between heavy breathing and muffled screams. Then I realized it was crying. Without thinking, I picked up my pace and went to my brother’s bedroom. I went to push the door open, but it wouldn’t move. The handle would turn, so he didn’t lock the door. He must have pushed his furniture up against the door.

“Joey, I know you’re in there.” I said to the door.

“Leave me alone, Natalie.” He said back. Great. He hates me.

“Joey, just let me help you. S.H.I.E.L.D. offered you a place to stay.” He didn’t answer. “Joey, please! You can’t stay here. You’re not old enough for a job and there’s not much food here. You can’t pay the bills, either.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” He said, obviously trying not to sound like he was crying. “Especially anywhere with you.”

My breath caught in my throat. My eyes started to burn with tears. I started to back away from the door.

“Okay, that’s okay.” I said, more to myself than to Joey. I turned away and walked to my own bedroom.

The sight of my bedroom brought unwanted tears to my eyes. Both of the beds were unmade. Worn clothes were on the floor. I went to the closet and pulled out two suitcases. I packed one with all of my clothes and belongings. I started putting my brother’s shirts in the second suitcase.

There were plain solid color t-shirts. There were concert t-shirts. There were flannel shirts. I didn’t pack any of his dress shirts or any of his pants mostly because I would never wear them. I turned to the bookshelf to see if I wanted to take any books.

As I turned, I saw a green hoodie lying on top of Nate’s bed, inside out, clearly worn. I picked it up and turned it the right way. It was a hoodie from our school, with the logo printed across the front. I packed the hoodie, knowing it would smell like Nate.

I took the two suitcases and dragged them across the hall and into my parents’ room. The bed was neatly made, and everything seemed untouched.

I wanted something of my mother’s. Like a ring, or a necklace. Something small, so I could always have it with me. I dropped the suitcases and walked to the dresser where my mother had a jewelry holder neatly arranged.