Time to Think

Time to Think

                I saw her safely to class and then made my way to my own. It was a creative writing class, I really loved the teacher, and the class, but I just couldn’t focus. I wondered if I’d be able to focus for a long time.

                Coincidence. Something whispered.

                She’s here. Something else said.

                She wormed her way into my every thought and my short story was filled with green eyes. She was everywhere. She had found her way into my very soul. I didn’t know her, but there she was. Right in the center of everything.

                I saw her again after class to take her to lunch. Once again, her beauty caught me by surprise. I didn’t notice much except her eyes in my art class, but she was gorgeous everywhere else too. Those dark, tight jeans hugged her body and that loose blouse fell over her breasts and rested on her hips in ways that made my throat clench up. Her hair was down to about the middle of her bicep and was less brown than I thought and more red. A light reddish brown color that I just loved.

                She was talking to someone as she came out of class. A guy. Of course. Because I needed that little stab in the gut right there.

                I shook the thoughts from my head when I saw her start walking over to me, leaving that guy to go to wherever he was going. She walked right up to me and just stood there. “Hey.” She was close. I didn’t know how I felt about her being so close.

                I took a deep breath and said, “Ready to get out of here?”

                “Yeah.” She had that brilliant smile still, the one that made butterflies go crazy in my stomach.

                I beckoned her to follow me while I walked down the stairs and out of the school. We didn’t talk while we walked, I couldn’t think of anything and so the silence stretched out. It was a relief when we walked up to the pizza place that was closest to the school. “Do you like pizza?”

                She smiled over at me again, “Sure.”

                We walked in and grabbed a booth in the back corner. “What type do you want?” I asked once we had sat down.  I sat across from her, not wanting to be too close, but immediately regretted the decision because now I had to not freak out every time she looked at me.

                “I’m just a simple girl. Pepperoni and cheese.” She had this way at looking at me that made me feel like I was the only person that she could see. Like we had our own little world.

                I wish I could say that something happened, that we had a great talk, that it was a wonderful time, but really, it was just normal. We didn’t talk about anything specific, just movies and books and she asked where I worked. It was just small talk really.

                Don’t act like you didn’t have more fun in that half hour than you had all year.

                It was fun. I admitted to myself with a smile.

                The rest of the day was uneventful. Sometimes I found her in the hallway and she asked where a class was and I gave her directions, but other than that, it was the same as always. And just like always, after school I unlocked my bike and rode to my job at Wendy’s. It wasn’t very busy, McDonalds always seemed to take our customers, but I liked that. I liked not having much to do.