chapter three

The week past much like the one before. Payton found herself give out each night and up well before the sun each morning. She wasn't sure how much longer she could continue this away. No one but Doris had come by to see about her and when was there Payton felt guilty for sitting down and having a visit. There was so much she needed to do. She should be in the garden hoeing the rows instead of sitting down to a cup of tea.

Sunday morning came and she had just almost decided not to make the effort to go to church when she heard a horse in the yard. She was surprised to see that Mr. Owens was once again here to hitch the wagon and drive her to the church. She met him in the yard. “I'm sorry, Mr. Owens, but I'm afraid that neither the children nor I am ready for church. You can go on without us. We'll just have to miss this Sunday but thank you for thinking of us.”

She turned to the house and started up the walk. “I'll be though hitching the wagon in thirty minuets. If you need more time, I'll wait.”

Payton turned and stared at him open mouthed. “I really don't think that's fair to you. I'd hate for you to be late on my account.”

He smiled at her then, “Then, you best hurry.”

Payton shook her head and smiled, “Are you by any chance kin to Doris?”

“Only by blood.” he joked, “the blood of our Lord and Savior.”

He realized the moment he saw her that she was loosing weight. Her eyes were sunk in and dark around the edges. She wasn't getting much sleep. She had a stiff walk which told him she had either hurt herself or was exhausted. Or it could have been both. The poor woman was going to work herself into and early grave next to that husband of hers. Joshua shook his head and wondered what he might be able to do to relieve some of her burden.

Thankfully they arrived at the church on time. Payton had to fight to stay awake during the service. When she was alert she was thinking of all the chores going undone. She should have stayed at home. She should be cleaning the chicken coop or putting fresh hay in the barn. She needed to pick the polk-salad at the corner of the house before the goat found it and ate it all up. So many things to be done. She hated to decline the offer to share Sunday dinner with the Smiths again on account of Mr. Owens but she really did need to get home and finish up some chores.

Joshua took her home and tried to help once he had un-harnessed the mules and wagon. But Mrs. McGraw sent him home. She told him she would take care of things that needed taking care of and for him to go home and do his own chores. As he left he glanced around the farm. What would she do if the well went dry? How would anyone know, she couldn't harness the animals herself, that was clear. What if something happened to one of the children and she needed help, was she going to carry them both and walk to the closest neighbors?

He was bothered by this and so much more. The woman didn't look well. She was pushing herself too hard and it was going to catch up with her soon. Something needed to be done to help her he just didnt' know what. He tried to pray again, that God would help him find away to help the woman.

When he came back the next Sunday morning she was ready for church but her appearance was even worse. She looked like she hadn't had a head washing in days. Her clothing wasn't ironed. The children were very cranky and she looked to be on the verge of tears. On the way to the church she swayed with the motion of the buggy and almost fell asleep more than twice. Each time she almost lost the boy from her lap. Once if Joshua hadn't put his hand out to catch him she would have dropped him. Doris asked them to dinner again but the young widow declined. Again she had things to do at home.