Chapter eighteen

Day nine seemed more like day twenty to Payton who was sick of the confines of the bedroom. She was glad for the company she had been able to visit with but she yearned to see the outside of the room. Joshua came to the room to see her on that day and found her trying to slip out of bed while no one was looking. She paused with her feet over the edge of the bed and looked at him watching her. “I'm sorry, Joshua.” she said, “But I can't stand another minuet in that bed.”

He chuckled. “I can't say that I blame you. I don't think I would make a very good patient either.” He looked over his shoulder and pulled the door closed. “Hold on and I'll help you.” He was standing over her in a matter of seconds. He slipped his hands under her arms and helped her to her feet. “Just don't let your mother know I helped you. If she comes in here, well, you're on your own.”

Payton laughed. “If you're that afraid I can do it on my own.”

Josh looked at her skeptical. “Have you been sneaking out of bed when no one was looking?”

Payton shook her head, “Don't think I haven't thought about it. But no, I haven't been sneaking out of bed. I've been a very good girl and have stayed in bed the entire time. I don't think it can be very good for a person to lay in bed that long.”

Josh shrugged his shoulders, “I don't know but your mother says everything needs a chance to heal. I don't know anything about having babies but I'd say she and Doris do. And..” He smiled at her mischievously, “They say stay in bed.”

They had made five loops around the bed. “Let me look out the window and I'll climb back in bed.” she told him.

They were still standing at the window when Helen knocked twice and then entered. “Ough!” she gasp, “You shouldn't be out of bed. Payton you get back in that bed this minuet!” she was shaking her finger at them both. “Joshua! I can't believe you helped her!”

Payton's eyes danced at him and he couldn't hide the smile that played at his lips. “She was gonna do it with or without my help, Helen. What was I suppose to do?”

Helen was pulling the blankets up over her and tucking them around her sides. “You should have come and got me.” She stepped back and gave her daughter a serious look. “This is your ninth day, Payton. You're suppose to be very still. Everything is going back in place. You have to stay still so it can all heal right. I shouldn't even let you up to use the chamber pot. We should use the bed pads again.”

Payton felt embarrassed at the mention of something so personal. Especially with Joshua standing there. Her face blushed, “NO, mama.” she said, “I'll stay in bed.”

Helen sat on the edge of the bed, careful to be easy. She took hold on her daughter's hand. “Tomorrow you can get up and start doing most everything you did before. Just stay in the bed the rest of the day. Okay?”

Payton agreed to stay in bed.

Helen dropped her hand, “Very well then, I won't punish you.”Her eyes held a teasing glint.

Payton smiled at her. “Wouldn't that be something. Here I am, a mother of my own and being punished by my mother in my home.”

Joshua smiled at Helen when she playfully gave her daughter a spanking. “Don't you think for a minuet that I won't either, girl.” she playfully said.

Joshua was still standing by the window his arms were crossed over his chest. He watched the two women, mother and daughter as they lovingly taunted one another. His chest swelled and he wondered what he had done to get such a great second chance. He felt like he had a whole new hold on life. As if to cement his thoughts little Nate started to whine around. Then what started as a soft whimper turned into a full fledged scream. Joshua stared to laugh and Helen looked at him through furrowed eyebrows. “I don't see whats so funny about a hungry baby!” she said lifting the child from the cradle. “Oh, shush now, baby.” she cooed to him.