Chapter 9

Two weeks couldn't have come soon enough. On the two week mark, my grandparents drove me back to the hospital. Keira came too for support. As soon as we got the x-rays back, we knew my leg had healed. The doctors came and took off my cast and left again. After a three minute wait, a physical therapist by the name of Doctor Marissa Tocco came in.
"Hello I'm Dr. Tocco but you can all call me Marissa." Right away, I knew she was gonna be the nicest Doctor ever.
"So I'm assuming you're Isabelle?" She looked at me and I nodded.
"Alrighty then. Let's get started." She had me doing some different stretches with my foot from the chair I sitting in. Finally the time came.
"So Isabelle, your foot seems pretty strong. Now we have to see if you can stand, walk, and/or run. Ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be." I replied, but as soon as I stood up, I fell into a crumpled heap on the floor. I heard my grandmom gasp.
"I'm alright. Let me try again." But every time I stood up, I fell right back down. After a while I got tears in my eyes.
"One more time." I said with the last bit of determination I had left, but Marissa held me down.
"That's enough Isabelle."
"But I can do it!"
"Isabelle, that's enough. If you truly want to walk and run again, you need to take things slowly or you could damage your leg again." I knew inside that she was right.
"Ok. I'm sorry. What can I do to run again?"
"You can start by taking physical therapy. Our first real session will be in two days. We will start by seeing if you can walk and stand with a walker. When you can do that easily, you'll begin to use a cane, and eventually you'll be able to walk like you used to. Running will be a bit more difficult and this whole process will take a very long time. Maybe up to a year or two."
Two years? I thought in my head.
"Will I have to use a walker and cane in school?" I was already dreading what people would say when they saw me using those. Marissa just chuckled almost knowing what I was thinking.
"Luckily you won't. In school you will use a wheelchair and eventually crutches. Any other questions before you leave?" We had no other questions so with that, we went back home.

Yay! Isabelle's leg will get better! But will she be able to run again? Keep on reading to find out what happens next! ~Katie