Chapter 13

Months passed. It was December 30th, the day before New Year's Eve. I began to use crutches and the weights Mike lifted got heavier. We had both turned 14. My family was having a New Year's party and I was allowed invite anyone I wanted. I, of course, decided to invite Mike.
Finally, New Year's Eve came. I couldn't wait until the ball dropped. That was my favorite part of the night. My town also had a tradition that every year, someone in our neighborhood would set off fireworks at midnight.
When Mike arrived, I got incredibly nervous and I wasn't sure why. We were always so comfortable with each other so I was sure why this strange feeling had occurred. After awhile, my nervousness faded away and we started talking about random things. As the saying goes, "time flies when you're having fun". At one point while Mike and I were talking, I decided to check the time. It was ten minutes till midnight! I couldn't believe it.
"I have a special place that I go when I want to think. I want to show you."
"Oh ok." He was surprised because I had cut him off in the middle of a sentence.
I slowly led Mike up the steps and onto the roof. By the time we got up there, it was 11:58. We went to the flat part of the roof and sat down. 11:59.
"My town has this tradition where each year someone in our neighbor sets off fireworks. They should be starting soon." 15 seconds.
"That's cool!" 10 seconds.
"Ya. Does your town do that?" 6 seconds.
"No." 5 seconds. He grabbed my hand. 4 seconds. We began to look up. 3 seconds. We looked into each others eyes. 2 seconds. He leaned in. 1 second. 0 seconds. The fireworks went off right as our lips met. After a few seconds, we pulled back. I blushed before he said,
"I wish I had done that sooner. I'm not sure if you felt the same way but I couldn't wait any longer to tell you-" I leaned in to kiss him once more.

Ohhh! They finally kissed!!! ~Katie