23: Getting Friendly

DAN'S P.O.V.

It's a Saturday night and I'm on my last hour of waiting duties. Liam texted me a while ago to tell me he's going to be here real soon to fetch me. On the other hand, Joana hasn't texted me for two days straight. She hasn't come back from California yet. And I must confess that I'm really getting worried. Why hasn't she returned my calls? Why hasn't she given me any updates about her? She used to text me every hour about her whereabouts.

I'm in the counter to take orders today. Ginger is the one to bring the orders of the customers to their tables. Sometimes we swap duties depending on who wins in our little game paper and stone. The one who gets the paper stays in the counter. Good thing I got that one because being in the counter is less tiring. We've got the greatest kind of pastries in the city if I say so myself. Liam loves the cakes here and most of the time, he buys himself five boxes of chocolate truffle cakes. I'm just not sure though if he does that for himself, or rather to just make me happy about our sales, because come on, what would he do with five boxes of cakes? I know he eats well and he loves cakes but definitely not to the point that he's addicted.

The door to our shop has this bell and apparently, it rings when someone comes right in. I thought it was Liam but no, it's not, and I will be a liar if I say I'm not surprised to see a familiar face. I've only seen him once but I won't ever forget his messy brown hair, his slit-sized blue eyes, his prominent cheeks and that little moustache below his nose. He smiles as soon as our eyes meet. He walks toward the counter and apparently toward me.

"Hi Dan, I didn't know you work here." He says.

I frown a little, knowing for a fact that I don't know how to call him because I can't remember his name.

He laughs. "Louis, remember?" He asks and offers a hand.

"Yeah, that's it. I'm sorry I'm not good with names." I take his hand and shake it for a few seconds before we both pull back.

"Just names... or names of guys?" He presses and laughs a little.

I join him and Ginger talking with one of the customers on the far table is suddenly looking at us. "Yeah, you're right about that." I almost forgot that Louis is a friend of Harry. Maybe I should get myself ready as anytime soon, the badass might appear out of nowhere. Damn, he's got my number and yesterday, if I'm not mistaken, I've got about four missed calls from him. I haven't saved his number just yet but I know the last four digits. Why was he calling me? What did he want? I sway a hand toward the cakes. "Hmm, may I take your order?"

He shrugs. "Sure." He heads toward the line of pastries and points to one, and another one, and another.

"Wait, you're not telling me you're buying three different cakes, are you?" I ask him and he can't contain his smile.

"I am. I'll give one to my mother, one for my sister and the last one for myself, of course." He laughs. "I won't be buying so many without saving one for myself, will I?"

I smirk. He's sort of friendly. He might be friends with Harry Styles but everyone is different from one another. I'm not going to judge this guy just because he's connected with the badass. "Okay then." After I put each of his cakes to their proper boxes and tied each with ribbons, he pays and I give him his receipt.

He carries all three boxes then and smiles. "Thank you. I'm sure Lottie's going to love this. I mean, my sister."

"I can assure you that." I tell him and he turns to head to the door.

"Oh, by the way." He turns back to me all of a sudden.

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember the pub where we first met?" He asks.