9: Ping Pong Balls

LIAM'S P.O.V.

We are driving down the city for quite some time. I'm trying hard to keep my eyes on the road while Dan's doing a pretty good job on making it even more difficult for me. There's this new song of Maroon 5 playing in the radio and I must say that I kind of like it when she's the one shouting it, I mean, singing it.

I laugh when she tries to hit the falsetto and fails. "Admit it, Dan. You just can't sing."

She shoots me her sharpest glare and hits me with her fist.

"Hey, I'm driving. You can't keep doing that!" I tell her, even if I'm totally obsessed with the slightest touch.

"You know what, now, I'm the one who doesn't get any of this. You should be crying, like really, horribly crying because Lizzy just broke up with you. But here you are, laughing and even criticizing my singing."

"If singing is what you even call it."

"Ha-ha." She fakes a laugh and rolls her eyes.

"Ha-ha-ha." I bite back, glancing at her sideways, reveling on the cute, annoyed look on her face. "You know, Dan, maybe you should think about getting a boyfriend." I say and I didn't know how I managed to let that out of my mouth. I steal a glance at her and sure enough, her face is as shocked as it always is whenever we talk about this.

"I have a girlfriend. How can you say that?"

I shrug, turning the wheels to the left. "Well, you haven't tried."

"Ugh, Liam, please, I don't want to end up cutting off your tongue, so please..."

I laugh and shake my head. "I think that's the best way to get rid of pricks like the one in the bar."

"Ha, I can get rid of Styles without having to have a boyfriend."

"Styles." I repeat. "What a name."

"That's his last name." She points out, her voice obviously stale at having to explain.

"You call him by his surname." I say, trying to remember if she's ever done that with me before. Well, she calls me piggy Liam and just Liam. "Why?"

"I don't know, maybe because there's no other way to call him. Besides, after all that's happened tonight, I'm certain you know by now that he's not even a friend."

"Hmm, but he said the both of you kind of like each other." Damn it, that's the most horrible thing I've ever heard in my twenty-one years.

"Me, liking the asshole that is Harry Styles? You've got to be kidding me." She's shaking her head and laughing at the same time.

"So, that's a 'no'?" I still ask, and I know I'm sounding like a jerk right now.

"God, Liam, no, do you even have to ask that?"

I laugh. Can I just say how fucking glad I am to hear that from her? "I don't know. I just want to set the record straight."

"Now you've set it straight. So can you just shut the hell up and let me sing?"

"Oh God, if you just don't mean so much." Fuck, what the hell did I just say?

"What?" She asks, her brows furrowed hard.

"I said if you just don't sing so much, I will greatly appreciate it as you sound really, really bad."

"Wow. Did Styles just manage to rub his rudeness on you?"

"What? Why is this about that prick now?" I'm getting really, damn alarmed.

She shrugs. "Well, obviously, you've gotten a hint of how rude he is after tonight. So, that's why I said, maybe he's rubbed some of it on you."