132: The Hate List

DAN'S P.O.V.

I'm trying to come into terms with everything that happened in the past few days. I had met Harry's parents and had come to watch his family during a very pivotal moment of their lives and maybe it was meant for me to see that. As time passes by that I only lie in bed, watching the white ceiling in complete silence with Harry tossing and turning by my side, clearly unable to find sleep as well just like me, it's starting to hit me that it's the universe showing me what my life will most probably be like, telling me it will never not be difficult for me at all. But when has it been easy? Harry tosses and turns once more, settling on his side, looking at me. When I turn to stare back, I've got the answer to my question. It's when I'm with Harry that everything that looks difficult becomes easy. And I wouldn't want any other, despite the frightening future surrounding us that is his family.

"You can't sleep." He speaks, his deep voice a soothing tone.

"So can't you." I respond, turning on my side to mirror his position.

He shakes his head. "No, it's just really weird, Elle."

"I don't know exactly what it is that you find weird, but I agree." I tell him and he smiles slightly.

"You know, I miss my mum." He takes my hand and puts it on his cheek. "Years had to fucking pass for me to finally realize how much I love her. It feels so infuriating, but at the same time it also feels so liberating, you know. I don't understand. I can't even put it into words how I feel at the moment." He confesses, pulling his lower lip in between his teeth. "With my dad, what happened was the exact thing that I had imagined, only much worse. But you'll be surprised, Elle."

I frown. "About what?"

He sighs, lying on his side, staring at the ceiling. "There were considerably bewildering moments that took place too and even up to this point, I can't seem to wrap my head around any of it."

"Why? What happened? I don't understand."

He looks at me, his bruised lips turning to the side to a smile. "My dad, he seems to love Mum really genuinely."

"What? I thought he wasn't good to her at all..."

"I thought so too. Dad said something about taking over the world and forgetting about how Mum was actually that one most important thing in his life and that nothing would have made sense at all without her." As soon as the last word escapes Harry's mouth, we are both looking at each other wide-eyed. "See? Even speaking about it shocks me!" He laughs and I join him.

"How come I don't know about this?"

"You were asleep, and so was Gemma. I was the only one awake at the time. And I'm telling you, the happiness that radiated from my dad's face when my mum woke up is something that will probably stay in my head for a lifetime."

"Wow, okay." I try to reflect on every word that Harry has said about his dad. I take his hand in mine and hold it in my belly. "It sounds like your dad isn't so bad to your mum all this time then. What do you think?"

He pauses and nods a little. "Maybe, because my mum also said so herself. And even if it will never change anything about how he treated Gemma and I, it still has made a huge difference, knowing he has always loved Mum, you know?"

I nod. "You're right. It does make a huge difference." Saying that takes me back to my own situation, where my dad used to beat me and Mom, and maybe it's what's making it difficult for me to forgive him, knowing he has never been good to Mom.

"Elle? Elle?" It's only when Harry has called me the second time that I notice him.

I look at him and he's frowning hard. "Oh, sorry, what?"