80: Christmas Eve

DAN'S P.O.V.

I can't hide it in me the fear that Harry must be mad at me for real this time. We've been talking and fighting about this issue for days, thinking whenever our fight is over and if it happens again, we will get better in taking it the next time, but it's just not the case. Every time there is a situation that calls for me to deny him, the pain that comes along with it if not the same, is even much worse. And now that Harry hasn't replied to my text message even though several hours have already passed, I'm getting even more scared that he's really never going to forgive me again. As I think about all that, I walk over to Joe and check on him, making sure he's breathing normally unlike the way I do when the door suddenly opens. I can't believe the expanse of relief that has washed over me when Harry appears by the doorway and walks into the room. Even if his face doesn't have its usual fondness towards me, the bliss of knowing he has still chosen to be here and be with me overpowers whatever uncertainty or fear I have inside my chest. What the hell is happening to me? Everything used to be so easy to me when it comes to Harry Styles. But now, why is every bit about him becoming more and more difficult each day? Should I just stop this beautiful insanity that is my in-between kind of relationship with him? Should I just stop seeing him? The question is can I actually stop seeing him. Mentally I'm already frowning at myself. Of course, I can. It's just that this isn't the right time. I need him. He needs me.

Even if he's in the room, his facial expression is enough to tell me that he's not here, worse, he doesn't like being here. What can I do to fix this? I walk toward him and though I want to take his hand in mine, I strain my fists at my side and choose to just look at him. "Have you eaten? I brought us something."

There's a slight movement in his brows and a slight change in his expression upon me saying all that but he simply nods his head. "Yep, I'm good."

That and I've become more worried than I already am. I don't like this Harry. "I brought carrot cake."

"I said I'm good, okay?" He snaps and even if he's not looking my way, I can see clearly the frustration and exasperation in his dark, green eyes. "Just keep doing your thing. Like if you're exchanging texts with your best friend or you're Facetiming your ex-girlfriend, just keep doing it! It's not like it matters if I'm right here seeing all your shit."

I want to scream at him and tell him to stop but no matter how much I want to do it, I know I shouldn't. He's already so mad and I shouldn't be adding up to that. Besides, I'm obviously the one who caused the problem here. "I'm not doing any of what you just said."

He scoffs. "Sure, I believe you. Ta-da! Problem solved." Hateful and sarcastic Harry always isn't my favorite and now I have to deal with it since I'm the one who made him this way anyway. He walks over to the table and settles a paper bag which I've seen for the first time tonight.

I look at Joe and like I always do, I wish that he wakes up from his sleep. But I wish it to happen more than ever now just so it saves me from this strained situation I have with Harry. Selfish. I know. When I turn to look back at Harry, he's by the window, staring out, obviously not planning to make any move to make our situation better. What should I do?

HARRY'S P.O.V.

I really didn't plan on staying mad at Elle. I swear when I left the two assholes in Applebee's, I was already thinking about kissing her and making out with her until the clock strikes twelve and it's Christmas. But as soon as I saw her, I instantly got reminded of what just happened a while back, quickly remembered how it felt to be denied in front of a ginger bread. I'm telling you it's not a good feeling at all. So here I am, looking out the window like I'm in some dramatic chick flick movie, trying to figure out how others are spending their Christmas Eve. Are they spending it much better than I am? I mean I'm all good with the girl that I love here, but I happen to be angry at her. What annoys me even more is that I'm pretty sure others have it way, way better than I do. Normal couples would've been in their hotel rooms, kissing, making out, drinking red wine, eating blue cheese, fucking, while Elle and I have to do it in a hospital room, quiet, hostile to each other, definitely not kissing and possibly not going to make out anytime soon. Not to mention what I have for us is only takeout food and that I'm really mad at her. What a perfect way to spend the night away.