Altering Years

Chapter Four - Lets Party In A Haunted Mansion (Part One) **NOT EDITED**

Mood: Josh Turner - Soulmate <3

~Mai~

"After our last investigation at the Hyogo Performing Arts Center, a young woman by the name of Suko Nanami came to the office after everyone left. She reported that her house is haunted with a very violent spirit. Physical violence is something that occurs between every sex. Mrs. Nanami plans to hold a house party for her husband's return from America; he's been gone for a little over eight months, leaving Mrs. Nanami, her young daughter Isa, and her son, Seo, alone. Apparently this spirit only attacks people our age, and herself. We'll be doing our investigation the night of the party by orders of Mrs. Nanami herself. The party is tonight, and we all have to dress formally. Madoka will be joining us, as will Yasu."

I sit quietly and watch Naru intently as he explains this case, the thrill of being at a house party eating me alive. I start chewing on my lip as he starts to finish his ramble. Once he's done, I voice my concern.

"Naru, how many people will be at this party?" my voice comes out breathy, the thought of over ten people at once chewing at my insides.

"Probably in the hundreds, is there a problem with that, Mai?" Naru asks, finally looking over at me as he takes a drink of his tea.

"A little. I don't really like big crowds. When I'm in a situation with over ten people at once in the same room as me, I get antsy." I explain, rubbing my arm nervously as he stares at me with a neutral expression.

"If you don't want to come, then don't." Naru finally decides, looking away from me to continue speaking.

"Hey Naru, this doesn't sound like a case you'd originally take. Why did you pick this one?" Monk voices, John, Ayako, and Masako all agreeing.

"I picked it especially for Mai. After our last investigation I figured one with the less chance of death would be in her favor. That's all. I want you all to go home and pack for the next few nights." Naru sighs, standing up to head to his office, Lin staying at the table in the room and typing away.

Why do I get the feeling I some how hurt his feelings earlier? I tell everyone a quick goodbye before following him into his office, sitting down in front of his desk.

"Is there something you needed, Mai?"

"I just want to say sorry. I didn't mean to offend or upset you earlier, it's just always been a problem for me. I'll go." I manage out, Naru's gaze moving to look up at me.

"How's that bite on your neck?" Naru suddenly changes topic, moving from his side of the desk to mine, looking at the bite from the spirit at the opera house.

"Still there. I don't know why it won't go away. I've bought ointment for it and put make-up over it. Nothing's helping." I groan, feeling Naru's warm finger trace over the mark.

"Strange. Maybe if-that's it. That needs to happen quickly." Naru mumbles to himself, pulling me out of my seat, making me stand in front of him. "Does any strange pain hit you?"

"Sometimes. I'll be writing something down quickly and all of the sudden it'll hurt." I explain, trying to move away from him.

"That's not good. Hold still. Don't move." Naru breaths out slowly, bringing his mouth closer to the base of my neck, in between my neck and shoulder.

"Naru? What are you-" I'm cut of with I feel Naru's lips brush my skin before he bites down. I let out a small squeak, my hands instinctively going to his biceps and squeezing as he continues to bite.