Altering Years

Chapter Twenty-Two - Party Time Memories (Part Two) **NOT EDITED**

Mood - Meghan Trainor (feat. John Legend) - Like I'm Gonna Lose You <3

~Naru~

I lean against the wall of the dancing area in the mansion, speaking with Mr. Nanami about the workings of SPR and the recent cases when the topic changes to Mai.

"How are you and Mai doing? All good I hope." Mr. Nanami laughs while nudging me carefully, an uneasy smile on my face.

"We're going fine, thanks for asking. We've had a few recent arguments but they're all case related." I admit while watching Mai talk to Mrs. Nanami and Ayako, laughing at something one of the two women said.

"I need to share my honest opinions with you, Kazuya." Mr. Nanami suddenly takes a serious turn, causing me to look over at him as he watches Mai intently.

"You have a great girl, I can see that now. Reminds me of when Suko and I were younger. But with what you're doing, it's wearing Mai down. Look closely and you can see what I mean. She's jumpier than the last time she was here, thinner, paler, and even, dare I say it, less rambunctious it'd appear. Mai will bend over backward just to make you happy, I can see it when she looks at you. Matter of fact, she's looked over here about five times already. Take it easy with her, something's bothering her and I don't want it to be the end of what you two have."

I stare at Mr. Nanami with semi-wide eyes, watching as he turns to me with a small smile. "But then again, what do I know? I'm old and wearing myself down anyway. If you feel like what you're doing is right, then keep at it."

"Thanks for the advice Mr. Nanami, I'll keep that in mind." I quietly agree while looking at Mai, finally taking in her appearance for the party. Mai's dress being a low v-neck with sheer lace on her chest and down to the small of her back, the entire thing black and barely reaching mid-thigh, the dress tight in itself.

 Mai's dress being a low v-neck with sheer lace on her chest and down to the small of her back, the entire thing black and barely reaching mid-thigh, the dress tight in itself

I look at her lips to find them to be ruby red, going along well with the red bow on her shoes and her hair messily curled with minimal eye makeup.

I guess I really just now noticed how pale she's actually gotten and how jumpy she's been. Surely it can't just be because of all the cases. It has to be of Sayaka too. I wonder what's been eating her away.

Mr. Nanami and I head over to the girls', Mr. Takigawa joining Miss Matsuzaki's side instinctively, my arm going around Mai's waist, surprisingly not making her jump. "So Mai, I've heard you've just finished taking your college exams?"

Mrs. Nanami starts slowly, everyone looking at the girl, John, and Miss Hara over here now too. Mai giggles before speaking, "Yes, I did."

"Well! How did you do?" Miss Matsuzaki almost practically screams.

Mai's face slowly contorts into a large smile as she starts rocking on the heels of her feet, my arm moving along with her. "I aced them all with nearly one hundred!" Mai cheers happily, Miss Matsuzaki, Mrs. Nanami, John, and Mr. Takigawa all screaming to hug the girl excitedly, pulling her away from me.