Altering Years

Chapter Nineteen - Dirty Dancers (Part Two) **NOT EDITED**

Mood - David Archuleta - Crush <3

~Mai~

I sigh overly loud, having been at Erotica all day long, finding no evidence whatsoever of the paranormal. Naru and I exchanging words here and there about rather or not we believe if this place if invested with spirits or not. So far, Masako can't even pick up spirits presence.

"Let's just say case closed. There's obviously no spiritual activity." I complain while crossing my arms, looking over at Naru for backup.

"I know that what happened the other day between you and Sayaka has disturbed you, Mai. But, that doesn't mean that there isn't any paranormal here. You've been with SPR long enough to know by now that it sometimes takes a bit for evidence to present itself to us." Naru reiterates, making me sigh again.

"I just don't want to be in a building filled with dirty dancers and Sayaka for more than an hour." I murmur while standing up and heading over to look at all of the monitors in the room, finding Monk to be on the dancing floor where the girls' are all on poles. Masako and John together in the VIP rooms, looking around in there. And Ayako checking the dressing rooms and bathrooms.

"Mai?" Naru quietly questions from behind me, hand on my shoulder.

"Hm?"

"Are you crying?"

I sniffle and wipe my face, suddenly recognizing the tears that are slightly coming from my eyes. "I guess I am." I laugh quietly, standing up straight and fixing up my face a little, wiping the tears and my eyes entirely.

"I'm sorry it's just that-"

"No need to apologize. I know why you're emotional, it's only natural. If you'd prefer, I can drive you home so you don't have to be here long?" Naru offers, looking me in the eyes, trying to see what I'm internally choosing.

"Naru, I don't want you to deal with a case on your own. I told you from the moment I started working with you that I'd be here until you can find a way to get rid of me successfully." I grumble, crossing my arms again while a small smile slides across his face.

"Mai..." Naru trails off, his eyes flicking down to look at something. What? I'm not sure.

"What? We don't have all day..." I let my sentence fade as Naru starts to come closer to me, the smell of tea lingering in the air from the tea kettle across the room, plus the faint smell on him.

I start to flutter my eyes, feeling something important coming. When my eyes finally shut and Naru's nose is barely skimming mine, the door is slammed open, making us back away from each other at lightning speed.

"There's no spirits here. I haven't felt a single presence, Naru." Masako agrees with me, looking back and forth between the two of us, feeling something odd no doubt.

"That's just what Mai was saying a minute ago. Keep looking around for clues. If it's true that Mr. Makoto brought us here for no reason, then we need to investigate. I already have Lin looking through files in secret so we just need extra backup." Naru informs walking away from me calmly, John walking in beside Masako after a moment.

"Okay, Naru. I'll look around some more. John, would you like to come along?"

I smile at my friends', finding it cute how they so easily flirt with each other yet neither of them notice the advances the other makes. "Sure, shall we head out then?" John holds an arm out for Masako who takes it easily, a smile on her face as she nods.