Altering Years

Chapter Six - Lets Party In A Haunted Mansion (Part Three) **NOT EDITED**

Mood: Christina Perri - Jar Of Hearts </3

~Mai~

I slowly wake up to find the bed next to me empty, cool air bruising my skin. I stretch and roll over, my face connecting with the pillow besides me, my eyes immediately bursting open from the smell radiating from the room. I sit up, my night shirt slipping down my shoulder as I look around, the smell of rotting flesh singing my nose hairs, the smell so putrid making me dry heave.

Upon my third heave, I finally conjure up enough motivation to step out of the room, my back pressed against the door once it's closer, Naru's voice resonating off of the walls down the hall. I frown and make my way over, pushing the door open carefully, no one noticing me as Naru takes a sip of his tea and talks about last nights events.

Oh yeah, the spirit visited us in our room again last night. I think to myself, looking down for a moment, playing with the tips of my fingers, everyone's questions echoing around my head. What happened? Why couldn't John of all people exorcise this thing? Is it even capable of being exorcised? Would Naru have to use his powers in order to solve this case? Are we that stupid? Do we not know how to get rid of these things by now?

"Mai?" I look up and lock eyes with Naru, my eyes wide, his holding noting but blandness.

"Yes?"

"You're not dressed." Naru points out, his eyes flickering downwards on my body for a brief second before looking at my face again.

"Oh, right. I woke up this morning with the full intent of getting dressed in all honesty. But when I woke up, it smelled in the room of rotten flesh. It was so bad that I started dry heaving, so I left the room." I explain, grateful, that the shirt I'm wearing covers my butt.

"I'll go check it out." Monk announces, standing up from the chair and leaving the room, Madoka, Yasu, and Ayako smiling at me as Lin just nods his head towards me.

"I'll go with him, Naru." Masako finally jests, walking out of the door with him.

I fall into Monk's old seat and close my eyes, feeling a headache approach. "So Mai, Naru was just telling us that you woke him up because of the spirit last night?" Ayako teases, her hands resting on my shoulders, Naru's eyes still fastened onto my face no doubt.

"Yeah, it was kind of weird to see since you, Monk, and John all did your thing last night. I don't really know what was going on." I admit, my face heating up from embarrassment.

"Naru, do you know what it could be?" Masako asks as soon as she's back in the room, Monk mumbling about how horrible the room smells.

I watch with an itch of jealousy as Masako walks up to him and smiles, Naru's eyes locked with hers. "I do have an idea, yes. And, I believe it'd be best if you left for this half, Masako." Naru concludes, walking over to Lin and mumbling something no one can here, Lin's eyes wide with realization.

"Naru? You can't mean..." Ayako begins, a tone of horror in her voice as she looks at him, Naru's single nod approving her curiosity.

I watch as Ayako whispers this to Monk and John, leaving me out of everything again. "What about, Mai? Shouldn't she leave, Naru?" Monk asks immediately, looking over at me.

"I'd wish she'd be able to. The fact is, she can't. It's seen something in her and myself that it wants. I'm not sure what, but if she were to leave, it'd only leave with her." Naru explains, walking towards me slowly. I eye his tea in his hand as he walks over, his eyes noticing what I'm eyeing.