Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Mia's POV

I can't tell them anything. If I do, they'll think I'm a freak, they'll through me out on the streets; they'll hate me again. I left to protect them from what I'd become on my tenth birthday. I thought I was doing the right thing, but right now, sitting around the table, I wasn't so sure.

They were my family, and family stuck together through thick and thin. I'd failed to uphold that once and I never wanted to fail to do it again. But as I sat here, time was ticking away and I knew, somewhere along the line here, I'd run out.

I glanced at Maison, who was eyeing me, a mixture of worry, curiosity and hurt swimming in his blue eyes. Just looking into them made me want to spill all my secrets: how I'd been the one to ruin his signed Baseball when I was nine- although I didn't think he wanted to hear that secret.

He wanted to hear my darkest one, the one that sat over me like a constant storm cloud, weighing down on me like a ton of bricks everyday.

Ollie glared at Maison. "She doesn't have to tell you yet. She can wait until she's ready, Maison!" He growled, protecting me like always.

Was I still worth protecting?

"No, Ollie.." I mumbled, tugging at the hem of my dirty top. I'd been wearing this one for a long time, ever since I realised where I was going instead of wandering around aimlessly. "No, he's right. I need to tell you."

Maison looked at me funny, trying to read deeper into the tone of my voice. I wasn't sad, it just sounded that way. In fact I was happy- happier than I'd been in the five years since I left.

"But I'd rather just tell Maison alone." I finished, not wanting to see the hurt in Ollie's eyes, I looked away from him. "If that's okay with you."

Maison nodded, collecting up his and Julie's empty plates. I hadn't even noticed them finish their food while I'd been thinking. I hadn't touched mine after Maison had sat down and now it was cold and gluggy. I pushed it away as Maison returned to the table. He sighed: I'd never been much of an eater in the past.

"Okay. Want to go for a walk and talk?" Maison asked, putting a warm hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, getting up from the table. "Okay. Do you want to come Julie?"

She looked stunned. "Are you sure, Mia? You don't ha-,"

"This is bullshit!" Patrick cried, slamming his cup back on the table loudly. I flinched at the sound as he stood up, knocking his chair back. "She leaves for Five years. FIVE! And then shows up expecting to be welcomed back. It's BULLSHIT!" He yelled angrily, pointing a finger at me.

"Patrick.." Maison growled, a warning clear in his voice.

"No, Maison. It's not fair, for christ sakes. She won't even tell us why she left! It's bullshit. Mum and Dad are dead because of her!"

I shrunk back again, tears streaming down my eyes. They were dead because of me! Oh no... no, no... I took them away from everyone. I took them away from Ben and Ollie and Patrick. I gulped. What had I done? I knew I shouldn't of come back! I knew it was a mistake.

They didn't want me here. They hated me, all of them.

I took a step backwards, backing into the kitchen as Patrick continued to yell about how it was my fault. How everything was my fault.

"Patrick! Stand down! That is an order!" Maison yelled, shaking violently with anger. Look what I'd done, they were fighting between themselves now. I shouldn't have come back.