Chapter Fourteen

Maison

"Brodie, get away from him!" I screamed, pushing my way into Saxon's trashed house.

I couldn't see Brodie or Saxon, but I sure as hell could hear them. In fact, I'm pretty sure the whole world could bloody hear them! What is wrong with them? Are they trying to expose who and what we are?

I stormed further into the house, slamming the toppled, broken furniture against the walls. It looked like a tornado had been through here, ripping parts of the house apart. I passed smears of blood, chunks of fur and claw marks that ripped apart and shredded the wallpaper.

“BRODIE!” I snarled, forcing as much into my Alpha tone as I possibly could. I would make him listen to me if I had too. I would use all my Alpha tone on him and I would shift and beat him to a pulp myself if I had too. There is no way I would let him kill Saxon.

A blood curdling snarl rippled through the house, followed by the sound of a smashing window. I freeze, hoping that whoever it was managed to get back inside the house before they fell the three storeys to the grassed area below. When nothing happens I feel my breathing catch in my throat.

Without taking a minute longer, I sprint up the stairs, using as much as my Wolf speed as I can to take six steps at a time. I feel like I’ve entered a War zone and nothing in those fight movies say that a house will end up looking like this. I feel my stomach lurch as I continue climbing the stairs.

It didn’t take a genius to realise that if Saxon is killed now before fully marking and mating Mia that she will die too. When a Mate has been threatened by another Male wolf the connect between the two Mates triples.

It’s a survival mechanism to stop unmarked Mates that have met from living on without each other. It’s to stop Widowed Mates from marking and mating to someone who isn’t their soul mate. I used to think it was useful because it stopped ‘Bite’ Mates or untrue Mates from happening. Bite Mate’s children are slower, weaker and smaller than true soul mates kids, another reason why the survival tactic is good because it stops weakening within a pack.

Although right now, I couldn’t think of anything worse in the entire world.

I stopped at the top of the hallway and my eyes widened. Brodie had his teeth sunk into Saxon’s neck as he straddled his back, digging in his claws. Saxon bucked like a bull to get him off, but Brodie had too good of a hole over him.

I couldn’t even find my thoughts. I couldn’t even find the will to make myself intervene as everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

Saxon rolls violently, trying to throw Brodie off. Brodie’s feet slid off Saxon’s back as he rights himself and begins bucking again. In one amazing display of power, Brodie planted his hind legs on the floor and threw Saxon by the scruff of the neck.

Straight towards the broken window. I felt my mouth go dry.

I felt my mind go numb.

I felt my legs go heavy.

And Saxon disappeared out the window in a blur. I didn’t even have time to blink as Brodie shifted back, standing naked in front of me. He looked at me helplessly, his eyes growing with sheer panic and guilt.

“I didn’t mean too-,” He began, his whole body shaking.

He was interrupted by a sickening thud. And I knew Saxon had hit the ground outside. Whether he was alive or not would change the rest of my life- for better or for very, very much worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mia

As quickly as the numbness and darkness arrive, it’s torn away from me again. I’m not in my room. I’m floating; floating high above the ground. Saxon and Brodie fight below me, snarling and biting.