Chapter 3: Sky

(A/N): I am really really busy with school for these next two weeks, but I'll still try to write as often as I can. Writing for me is actually very therapeutic, so who knows, maybe I'll write more because of the stress. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

~~~

Chapter 3: Sky

I sleepily drift awake to the sound of crickets chirping outside. Where am I again? My heart skips a beat and I sit bolt upright as I momentarily forget where I am.

Oh, right...

I flop back onto the bed with a sigh as my memories (or what little memories I have) rush back to me. Right, the Glade. I roll out of bed with a groan.

"Why am I here?" I ask to no one in particular.

"You awake Greenie-- oh, seems you are," Ross' voice sounds from behind me and I turn to see him walking into the Barracks.

I grit my teeth at the nickname, "Stop calling me Greenie, man. That's not my name."

"Well, it'll stick for a while. At least until you get your name back."

Well, in that case I want my name to come back even faster. "Well, did people keep calling you Greenie? You were here before me, right? How long did people call you Greenie for?"

"I'm still called Greenie even though you're here."

"What?!"

"Don't worry, it wears off after a while. C'mon, we're late for your own celebration." Oh, right. The celebration. I forgot about that.

As we walk through the now dark meadows, I awkwardly try to make conversation to break the uncomfortable silence between us. "So... You guys just do this every month?"

"Yeah. We've got you; we've got new supplies. It keeps everyone in good spirits."

"Oh." And just like that, the conversation's over. I gently scuff my feet against the gravel path as I walk, glancing all around the glade and trying to look anywhere but at my awkwardly silently companion. Awkward, awkward, awkward. I need a distraction. I look from the grass and gravel path illuminated by moonlight to the party up ahead, where I can see the treehouse and party glowing with warm torch light. The night air is filled with the soft singing of crickets and ribbeting frogs, and to my right I can see a few fireflies dancing around in the cool night sky.

I spin in a slow circle as I walk, taking in all my surroundings when something catches my eye. The stone walls are as large as ever, the moonlight giving them a ghostly glow. The door is gone.

"The doors... Where did the door go?"

"They shut at night."

"Really? Why?"

"It keeps whatever's out there out there, and it keeps us in here." Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What's out there, then?!

"O-kay..." I say uncertainly as we finally reach the party.

"Don't worry, we're safe in here."

"Whatever... I'm just gonna... I need a second, okay?" I've broken down enough times in front of these people. Get it together, --- oh, right. I don't remember what to call myself.

Sigh.

I sit down on the rough bark of one of the logs by the bonfire, where a familiar pig is now roasting on a spit. How are these people so content living in this cage? Don't any of them want to leave? I absent-mindedly pick at the tree bark as I stare into the fire, lost in thought. But what about those others, those runners, who went through the not-an-exit earlier? Maybe they're looking for a way out. I don't know.