Chapter: 19 What Goes Around Comes Around

Chapter: 19

Lea's POV:

We trotted through the undergrowth as far as we could travel on our paws until they were practically aching. The cold was settling in as well as a shiver rush over my body. I shook my body to shake some of the coldness off. My paws trotted along the frozen ground as the trees were lined with snow on them as it was pretty cold outside. Snow was falling onto the ground as I look behind me to see that my mate was trailing behind. His ears were alert for any sounds that he might hear. After all, I was being protected right now.

The silence of the forest was echoing all around us as we were traveling. There was something about the way that it was quiet. It wasn't peaceful, but it did feel like we were being watched from somewhere. It was ominous. The cold was pressing in my sides as it was freezing out here, but it had to be my brother's idea for us to travel out here. With everything that was going through me, I was on alert as well. My mate wasn't the only one who was alert right now. Maybe, he was feeling the same thing as I was. Nothing was happening right now, but I knew sooner than later that something was going to happen. 

It was always like this with us-my family. Never knew who was targeting us, but we have each other backs. Even if I was a little on edge from our earlier spat too and he still hadn't answered my question either. So, we have been traveling in silence which was fine with me. Until I felt that thread warming up and then his voice floated across the forefront of my mind. 

We should find some shelter for the night, Lea. His voice came through the mind link as I tilted my head to the side to give him a sideways look. 

Do your paws hurt so bad that we need to stop? I retorted right back at him.

If you want to exert yourself some more, then that's fine with me. He snapped right back at me and all I did was huff at him.

I turn around to face him as he nearly ran into me, if I needed your freaking opinion on it, I would've asked for it.  

Why don't you reject me and get on with it? He snarled at me. 

Why don't you? I snarled right back at him.

We stood there staring at each other while the snow fell around us. A strong heat wave went through me as we didn't look away from each other. His dark eyes were narrow as his lips were pulled back and his ears were flicked backward as well. I know I look the same, but he didn't say anything to my question. We didn't back down from each other as we continued to look at each other. The wolf before me was waiting for me to do something, but all I did was turn around and trotted away from him. 

It was quiet between us as we made some more progress with our bags in our jaws. My paws were aching, but the pain felt so much better than the one that was going through me from his words. We move forward as I gritted my teeth together while pausing on a large hill. My eyes took in my surroundings while looking around and saw how far we had traveled, but there was nothing of our parents here. We were basically following a ghost trail here. There were a lot of trails here, but not knowing where to go. How did my brother expect us to find our parents? The snow was making it hard to scent their trail and we haven't heard anything from them either. 

A dreaded feeling enter my body as I started to feel hopeless, but maybe that wasn't the case. Something hit the side of my body and I went crashing into the ground while sliding down the hill with another body on top of me. I was trying to get onto my feet and struggling against whoever was on me. I managed to get my hind legs right underneath the belly of the body and with my strength, I flung the person to the side. An irritating growl escaped from my jaws as I snapped angerily at the one that got the jump on me.