Chapter: 25 Traveling Companions

Chapter: 25

Lea's POV:

Everything was warm at the moment. It was a pleasant feeling and one that I wasn't too familiar with at all. The sound of the crackling flames was music to my ears and it had been forever since I had been out here like this. Maybe, that was what I needed. The time to get away from everyone and have a little time to myself. After all, I wasn't a very good person at all. Wait, didn't I travel with someone? It felt like I was being pulled upwards and then cracking my eyelids.

Bright light from the cave entrance had flooded through and the low crackling embers of fire had gone out. The smell of smoke was in the air and someone's warm body was against mine. Someone that felt right as I turn my head to see that I was in the crooked of a male body. My eyes look upwards and I inhale the spice scent of wolf next to me. It was Marcus. He had kept me warm through the night. Was it just the night or how long has it been since I was awake? I was so confused that I didn't think much of it at all.

My ears pick up the sound of chittering squirrels and something else out there. A woodpecker, maybe? I lean into him and inhale his spice scent that I was becoming to enjoy. This was quite nice and maybe I was a little hard at first with him. It was stupid to think that I was insecure and jealous of him. As if! That was so stupid of me. Then again, his best friend was a beautiful woman and I was a normal plain girl compared to her. 

So, why do I keep my guard up against him? Hasn't he proven himself that he wasn't working with their so-called evil brother? My lips thin out into a deep frown as I try to move, but a dull pain went through my side. I forgot that I was injured as a sharp exhale escaped from my lips. Why didn't I heal like a normal wolf? The male beside me stirred awake and place his hand on my hip which sent tingles up and down my spine. Our eyes met and his dark hair fell forward as his sleepy dark eyes met my own. There were dark circles underneath his eyes for some reason.

We didn't move from that position as if we were seeing each other for the first time. A slow grin spread across his lips while showing me his pearly whites, "I am glad to see that you have finally awakened from your slumber, sleeping beauty." 

My eyebrows furrow into confusion while tilting my head to the side while asking him in a hoarse voice, "What do you mean?" 

He squeeze my hip and warmth flooded through me as inappropriate thoughts cross the forefront of my mind. Such dirty images came across as well as his eyes narrowed into a playful look, but answer my question, "I mean that you have been in and out of conscious for nearly two days now, Lea." 

The way that he said my name. It made my heart skip a beat in my chest. "I was out for two days?" I was in disbelief as I couldn't believe his words at all.

He was quiet and for some reason, I could sense that he was bewildered, but very worried as well. I waited until he met my gaze and there was a pain in those dark eyes of his. There was the feeling of fear somewhere along there too while his hand gripped my hip even tighter while pulling me closer to him. He buried his face between my neck and shoulder, and my face began to burn hot from him inhaling my scent. 

I didn't push him away nor did anything of the sort. He held me close to him while he gave a shaky breath that coursed down my spine before speaking roughly in my ear, "I thought I had lost you, Lea. I couldn't believe that was what he did." 

I snapped, "Would you tell me already?"

He pulled away and was surprised as he look down at me, "Tony had stabbed you with wolfsbane, Lea."

"What?" I shouted at him and then try to move again. A sharp growl escaped from my lips as he held me down to the ground and my growls turn into whimpers.