Chapter 24

“So what do we do now?” I asked, still resting against Matt’s chest.

                “I’m not sure. They haven’t crossed the border yet. I don’t know if they plan on it again or if they’re just scouting it out to see if we plan on attacking them.”

                “We could attack them? Would that scare them away?” I asked.

                Matthew looked away.

                “What is it?”

                He met my eyes. He looked mournful. “They have hundreds of wolves in their pack. We have eight.”

                My stomach sank as I realized what we were up against. What were my chances of overcoming this enemy? I didn’t even know how to fight as a wolf yet.

                “They haven’t trespassed yet, Laura. Don’t worry just yet.”

                “They’ve trespassed twice now.”

                “Doesn’t mean they will again.”

                “Third time’s the charm,” I answer pessimistically.

                “Maybe we just need to take another look at what happened the last two times. Maybe they’ve gotten what they came for already.” Matthew said

                “I don’t remember that much that happened the first time…” I tried to recall the event.

                “Before we got there what was going on?” Matt asked.

                “I was jogging and then I heard something in the bushes. The black alpha just walked out and looked at me. Then I remember the pack jumping out of the woods and the black wolf getting closer. Then I was on the ground and the pack was surrounding me. Then everything started going strange and I woke up in the red room.” I told him every detail I could think of.

                “Wait, the black wolf didn’t attack you?” Matthew straightened up and held my gaze.

                “Not at first. He seemed like he wasn’t going to hurt me. Then he jumped and landed right in front of me. That’s where it all gets blurry.”

                “He didn’t bite you before we got there?”

                “No. It would have had to have been after.”

                “That’s odd. I don’t remember seeing him bite you. Then again we were in the middle of a fight. I didn’t pay much attention to anything but him.”

                “Sorry, that’s the best I can remember,” I apologized.

                “No, that’s plenty. It’s surprising you remember that much,” Matt said, his arms still wrapped around me.

                “What about the second time? I only saw the first half of that,” I asked.

                “As soon as you left he commanded his pack to leave. Then he retreated after them. It was a struggle for him to submit like that, his alpha side was fighting it, but he had clarity of mind. He was on a mission. He didn’t want a fight.”

                “Do you think he’s coming back?” I wanted to know.

                “We haven’t picked up his scent or the others we saw in the woods near the cabin. They’ve sent different wolves this time.”