Chapter 29

It's a short chapter, sorry in advance. And now...

Drum roll..... here's what you've been waiting for :)

                The white halls took a sharp turn and stopped at a set of double doors. A gasp escaped my mouth as we passed through them.

                The linoleum was replaced by thick carpet with some intricate design. We stepped into a hallway with soaring ceilings. Dark wooden tables appeared along the length with dark grey vases of calla lilies. From above, glass chandeliers lit up the hall.

                I felt out of place in my bare feet as I sunk into the plush carpet. We had just walked into what seemed like a wilderness themed country club. I gawked at everything I walked by. I wanted to run my fingers along the dark satin like wood. Then I remembered that it all belonged to our enemy. The splendor of the estate was ruined for me and I stopped taking in my surroundings and concentrated on looking straight ahead.

                We walked out of the hallway and found ourselves on a walkway that surrounded a lobby-like area below. The trunks of large trees served as columns to support the mile high ceiling. At the opposite end of the walkway, there was a massive grand staircase. Standing at the bottom were seven men all formally attired.

                I fought to remain calm as we were led down the staircase to stand in front of the group below. It seemed my pack mates were also trying to remain calm but there were visible chinks in their façade. As we came to a stop no more than fifteen feet away from the seven, the guards backed away to the side. A clear view of our enemy was presented.

                Standing in the front, ahead of all the others stood an icy looking man from which power seemed to radiate. He held his head high and watched us with crystal-like menacing eyes. Eyes that were too dark to distinguish a colour and ones that scrutinized our every move. A tight grin spread across his face giving him a malicious smile. There was no doubt who this man was. No one else could be mistaken for the alpha when he was in the room.

                The light glinted off his silver hair. He wore a deep grey suit that was visibly expensive. A silver handkerchief was in his breast pocket and he wore a silver vest beneath his jacket. My mind jolted with realization.  This was the same man who had led the murder of Oak Lodge elders all those years ago. He was the silver alpha Matthew had seen. And he was still after our pack.

                I shot a glance Matthew’s way to see him bristling. He was shaking with rage and his jaw was clenched. He was glaring at the Alpha. Fortunately for him, the alpha was looking elsewhere. Unfortunately for me, he was staring my way.

                “Welcome,” the word rolled off his tongue in a deep satiny voice. Even his voice sounded cold. It was a perfect match to his appearance.

                It was then that I took in the group around him. Standing at his right was a man with long blonde-white hair. He was tall and slender and moved with grace. His features were sharp and his eyes icy.

                On the Alpha’s left stood the Black alpha. Side by side there was no mistaking their identities. Father and son were spitting image of each other. The only difference was their colouration. Standing next to his father, the Black Alpha was no longer as much a threat. Instead his father commanded fear.

                The Black Alpha’s emerald eyes glanced around the room and stopped on me. Though both he and his father were watching me, I didn’t feel the coldness coming from the son. Instead there was something familiar in his gaze.

                Behind them there were other wolves, most with dark hair or incredibly light blonde hair. I would have guessed one of the younger ones to be the wolf on the Alpha’s right’s son. They had the same colouring and similar features.

                It was an odd sight, seeing such a contrast in looks. There were two ends of the spectrum: black as night or as white as snow. And standing in the center was the Silver Alpha. Somehow the appearances came together to create one larger picture of pure power.

                “I am Magnus, Alpha of the Stone River pack.” His voice seemed to echo as the Silver Alpha took a step closer.

                “You are probably wondering why you aren’t all dead at the moment,” He continued. “After all, you know the punishment for breaking the laws our forefathers set.”

                At this Matthew lunged forward. The guards moved to intervene but Magnus raised a hand and they held off. Matthew wasn’t attacking, he was merely enraged.

                “Why we aren’t dead?” he spat, “What have we done? It is you who have broken the laws. You’ve trespassed on our lands, turned a human and murdered our parents!”

                Magnus looked emotionless as he met Matt’s gaze. “You know as well as any that killing isn’t against our laws. The only consequence of that action is to hand over an excuse to trespass to an enemy.”

                A smile spreads across Magnus’ face and the Black Alpha looked confused for a split second before he put up his guard once more.

                “Shifted a human have we?” Magnus’ grin spilled into his voice. He raised a silver eyebrow in amusement.

                “Yes! He turned her!” Matthew jabbed a finger at the Black Alpha. Comprehension flickered in the younger alpha’s eyes.

                Magnus let out a peel of soft laughter. 

“Now there, my boy, you are mistaken.”

                My heart rate began to speed up. What was he talking about? Who had changed me if not the Black Alpha? My mind lapsed into the past, trying to recall what had happened that day in the woods.

                I had seen the black wolf coming from the bushes. He came closer. Then the Oak Lodge pack erupted from the woods. He jumped in front of me. A fight broke out. I fell down. I passed out.

                No bite.

                My heart stopped for a split second. My head was spinning. My stomach was clenched. An expression of shock passed across my face. I looked up to meet the Black Alpha’s eyes. In that moment , as I looked into his eyes, everything clicked into place.

                The dizziness evaporated in a moment of clarity. I remembered where I’d seen those eyes: staring back at me from inside a silver frame.

                Magnus spoke the words at the exact moment the thought entered my mind.

                “Laura was born a member of the Stone River pack. She is none other than my one and only daughter.”

What did you think? Comment please ;) just two chapters left