Chapter 4

My mind was spinning. I kept drifting in and out of consciousness, barely registering what was going on. I felt pain. Waves of unbearable pain crashing over me.

                When I was conscious I caught glimpses of things that didn’t make any sense. A face flashed into view here, a voice whispered there. The trees passed by overhead, the sky darker each time I opened my eyes.

                A face appeared. I tried to move. I felt a moan escape from my lips.

                “We have to get here back to the lodge, she’s been bitten.”

                “Where? I don’t see a mark.”

                “Doesn’t matter. You smell that don’t you? His scent is right here.”

                “Could it have just worn off on her?”

                “No. It’s a part of her. She’s wolf now. Can’t you see? She’s changing.”

                “He turned her.”

                “OK, then we’d better hurry.”

                “That’s what I was saying.”

                “Shut up and move.”

                Everything went dark again. I felt feverish. I was too weak to try to stay awake. All I knew was pain. It seared through my body, touching every part of me. I felt nauseated.

                I opened my eyes again, a wolf walked from the trees, it morphed into a person. I blinked, my sight becoming dark again.

                There was a house.

                A woman spun around.

                Red walls.

                Darkness.

                When I woke up again nothing made sense. I was in a red room, on a bed. I was freezing. I grabbed the blanket. I tried to pull it up, but I was too weak. My teeth chattered. My forehead was damp.

                Someone sat in a chair across from the bed. Black spots danced across my vision. I couldn’t tell who was there.

                Whoever it was came over and pulled the blanket up for me. I saw his face. It was one of the boys from the hardware store. The one with the sandy blonde hair. I would have asked him where I was if I could have spoken. Instead I passed out again.

                My dreams were vivid. The too bright colours made my head ache. Wolves leapt from trees, snarling at me.

                “No!” I cried, trying to run. I was lying down though. I couldn’t move.

                I was awake in the next moment.

                “Shh,” someone whispered. I was shivering again. I felt another blanket fall on top of me. It was heavy. Too heavy. But it was better than the cold.

                I fell asleep again. Pain was all I could think about. I curled into a ball. I woke up again. I was facing the ceiling. My head was propped up, someone poured water into my mouth.

                “Will she be alright?”

                “She’s strong. She’ll make it. It always looks worse than you think.”