Chapter 3

Another day at school passed by. The irrelevant material had spread to three classes now.  At lunch everyone seemed happy and peppy. It was the last day of classes, exams started next week. The cafeteria was even serving brownies.

I sat down at our table; Cass and Maggie were already eating. April and Leah had gone to get brownies. Emily was searching for her date from last night. Apparently he now wanted to be more than friends, something she needed to put an end to.

Leah and Maggie sat down together, their trays filled with fries and brownies. Leah moved her fries to reveal a second brownie in hiding.

"Leah, if you really wanted brownies that bad I would have made you a batch," Cass laughed.

"It was kind of a spur of the moment thing," Leah answered licking chocolate off of her fingers. I laughed and bite into my own brownie. They were surprisingly good for cafeteria food. Emily plopped down across from me just as Leah took an enormous bite from her second brownie.

"Ok, what disgusting magic ingredient do you think the cafeteria lady put in there to make them so good?" Emily said, seeing our table licking fingers.

"Wait, you just said to make them so good. How do you know they're so good?" I addressed Emily.

She hesitated, "Because you guys are devouring them."

"Nope, you tried one," I laughed, sensing her discomfort.

Emily slouched. She looked up at us and smiled. "Ok, you caught me. It's the last day of eleventh grade, I needed to celebrate. Go wild."

"Because brownies are so wild!" Leah said sarcastically, "You can do better than that."

"I think a brownie is enough excitement for one day," Emily straightened back up. She unzipped her lunch bag and pulled out a container of cucumbers.

"So, did you find Adam?" Maggie asked, changing the subject.

"Yup."

                Maggie raised an eyebrow. Leah, with her mouth full made a gesture for Emily to elaborate.

                "He didn't take it too well. He walked into the guys' washroom without a word. Then I left."

                "Well, maybe he just had to pee," Leah said, mouth now empty.

                "Maybe," Emily shrugged, "But I think I'll assume otherwise."

                "Guys are annoying like that," April commented.

                "They mistake talking for flirting and then always want to be more than friends," Emily said, popping a cucumber slice into her mouth.

                "Uh, I do not have that problem. In fact that doesn't seem like a problem at all," Leah burst out.

                "Agreed," I told Emily. In our small high school, all the guys were either taken or not interested.

                "Yeah, they always seem to mistake flirting for talking and never want to be more than friends," Leah corrected Emily.

                April shrugged and went back to eating.

                "You wanna tell me what your trick is, Em?" Leah asked.

                "I don't think there is a trick. It's just one of those things that happens. With no explanation or logic behind it."