Chapter Nineteen

“Did you know,” Kioka drawled, “that mongoose dragons have an excellent sense of smell?”  She stroked the head of one of the beasts.

“They are also quicker than almost any land animal.  They can even run on water,” Slovono added proudly.

“What do you want?” I asked them, trying to get to the point.

“What do you think?” Kioka said with a smirk.  I’m pretty positive that I know what you want, but I’m kind of hoping you’ll prove me wrong…

“Just tell us,” I said huffily.

Slovono laughed.  “Always impatient.  We were order to bring you back to the Fire Nation.”

“Who ordered you?” Macco asked.

Kioka and Slovono shared a glance.  Then, Kioka turned back to us, a hard look in her eyes.  “That’s none of your business.”  And with that, she whipped out her sword.  This was going to get ugly…fast.

Then I remembered something.  As nonchalantly as I could, I reached my hand into my pocket and wrapped my fingers around it.  I then slowly turned to Macco, looking him straight in the eye.  “Well, we can’t exactly fight masters, can we, Macco?”  Get my drift?  Please tell me you understand.

He paused, then, “No, we can’t, Jalia.”

“Right you are,” Slovono interrupted with a smug grin.

“So, what should we do?” Macco asked in an overly curious voice.  I didn’t know if he knew exactly what I had in mind, but at least he seemed to know I had something.  It had to work.  Otherwise we were back to the Fire Nation or wherever.

“Hmm,” I feigned contemplation.  “Maybe…”  I began, and out of my pocket I pulled Dad’s airbison whistle and blew into it as hard as I could.  Slovono and Kioka stood still for a moment, and then…they laughed.

“Looks like your whistle is broken, Julia,” Slovono chuckled.

“Yeah, you-“ Kioka began but was interrupted by a large mound of fur landing on top of her and Slovono.

            “MARGLEFUMPMALAAAILOOSOMMMAA!” Slovono cried.

            “What was that, Slovie?” I taunted.  Then I turned to Macco, “Hop on and make sure everything’s set.  Maybe have Appa roll around a little.  I’m gonna go untie their mongoose dragons.”

            I walked over to the reptiles.  They were kind of creepy.  Not as fluffy as the transportation I was used to.  I untethered the dragons and took of their saddles.  “Go on, be free!” I called to them.  They didn’t budge.  Stupid, loyal things.  So, I had to resort to giving their hides a little slap.  Those boogers were off like the fully Avatar-ed Avatar was behind them.

            Jumping into the saddle, Macco already at the reigns, we took off leaving two groaning masters in our wake.

---

I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry!  I owe you guys a million apologies.  I took WAY WAY WAYYY too long to upload that AND it was terrible and short and I am SO INCREDIBLY SORRY that you guys waited so long for that.  D':  I am a terrible person.  Thank you for sticking with me despite my SERIOUS flaws, though.  LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH.  *MWAH*

Suzanne