Chapter Eleven

So, let’s recap: the Macco-Man and I escape the Fire Nation Capital by the skin of our teeth (whatever that means…), we land on the tourist attraction that is Ember Island, and as we’ve just barely stepped foot on something solid that isn’t furry or moving, an angry old guy starts tromping his way towards us.  Typical.

            The dude looked seriously pissed.  He was kicking up sand like a plow and I could almost see steam coming out of his nose and ears.  I don’t think it ever occurred to me to run.  I was frozen in place.  That’s me: Miss. Calm.

            “What are you kids doing here?!” the old fella spat at us through holes in his mouth where I suppose teeth used to be.  “The beach isn’t open yet, you haven’t paid, and BY GOLLY YOU’RE WEARING SHOES!”

            “Huh?”  Macco said, brilliantly.

            “The biggest rule of this beach is: NO SHOES ALLOWED!” the man screeched.

            “Why aren't shoes allowed?  Someone could cut their feet on a shell or something,” I so cleverly interjected.

            The security guy (or whatever his job was—guy) paused for a moment, inhaling and exhaling heavily.  It was almost like I could hear his lungs rattling in frustration.

            “WHY DOES IT MATTER?  IT’S A RULE!  YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW RULES!”

            “Alright, alright!” Macco said, hastily taking off his shoes like the hero he is.  The old man eyed me suspiciously.

            “Even though the sand is cold and I’ll probably step on something and cut my foot open and be crippled for life, I will happily take off my shoes just for you, sir,” I said sweetly, smiling as I took off my shoes, wriggling my toes in the sand.  As we began to walk away, I turned back and waved at the stunned man, frozen in his tracks, staring at us wide-eyed, open-mouthed.

            “That was rude, Jay,” Macco said, but I could totally see the smile he was trying to press down.  I snickered.

            “I don’t even get why we have to take them off.  To keep the sand clean or something weird?”

            “I don’t know, but let’s just try and not make any more enemies, okay?  I know it’s your specialty and your favorite thing to do, but you’ll just have to keep that to a minimum for now,” he said snidely.  I playfully punched him in the shoulder as we continued walking.

            “We kind of stick out, don’t we?” I noticed as people began to stare at us in our watertribe garb.

            “Yeah, maybe we should get some new apparel,” Macco said.

            “Apparel?  What century are you from?  Here in the present we call it shopping for clothes and it’s an experience all deprived Southern Watertribe teenage girls long for.  Let’s go!”

            As I overdramatically dragged my pal down the white beach, he cried out laughingly, “Since when were you a girl?”  Instantly, I stopped in my tracks and turned to him, glaring and with my hands on my hips.

            “I don’t ever want to hear you say that EVER again, do you hear me, mister?”  Macco’s eyes instantly widened, but before he could stutter out a reply of forgiveness, I began to giggle.

            “What’s so funny?” he said, still cautious.

            “You!” I laughed.  “C’mon!”